SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question on planning future scope needs

I had a skywatcher 130m but due to setup (and two small children) wasn't able to maximise.

I have since purchased a Meade ETX125 primarily for ease of tracking, goto (although I am getting to know my own piece of sky fairly well), and general compact nature.

I know I will need something for the future, and have noticed mounts underneath the tube that I am guessing are for mounting on another scope. So the Etx becomes a sighter, if I guess correct.

If that is the case, what can it be mounted to? Probably a multitude of things on that basis, but any clues? Small and medium spends considered.

I thought one of the larger LXs could be appropriate, but will it work with other manufacturers primaries, etc?

an etx 125 is not an insubstantial bit of kit so if you want to use it as a guide scope you are going to need a substantial mount. I would imagine it doesn't have a wide enough field of view to be a good spotter.

Archived