Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

lulu57

I enjoyed SGL6 so much. I just relaxed and reaped the benefits of some one else's hard work. Thank you Helen, Mike P, Jean and all you other organisers who put themselves out on our behalf.

You really are appreciated!

xxx

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another set of heartfelt thanks from me as well. A really well organized and attended star party with the bonus of some lovely skies despite the predictions to the contrary before the event.

Many thanks to Helen, Mike, Mark, Jean and everybody else who planned and worked hard to make it great success :):hello2:B)

Can i just add my own thanks too to all the people listed above. Especially Mike as i don't think i got to chat with Mike and personally thank him.

It was all brilliantly done, couldn't have been any better. Harry loved it too.

:):hello2:B):hello2:

My 1st SGL and I enjoyed it alot. The organisation was spot on, stuff going on all the time. Nice to meet folks and to put faces to names as well will definately be along at the next one. Thanks again

Philj

The whole event does the organisers great credit. The welcome from everyone can't be exaggerated, they really are a decent and warm crowd ,thanks to Lulu for offering me a cuppa. Topper for me was that family of 5 or 6 non stargazers who came around the site on Saturday night who were genuinely blown away by the images/views through the scopes. Stevewolves captivated them (& me) with his knowledge of the skies. Low point was probably Lulu's & her friend's singing :)

posted thanks before but this seems to be the official thankyou thread, so again thankyou to Helen and the team another great sgl starparty and again thanks to all the wonderful people who confirmed again what nice people astronomers are it makes me proud to be associated with such a fine bunch of people.

To add to the above - I'd like to say that I had a great time. As a newbie, initially I had trouble adjusting to the dark skies compared to the light pollution at home. But it was great, loads of helpful advice, useful tips, interesting lectures (thanks to Daz, NickH, MikeP and Ibbo). My son enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, everyone was happy to chat, any time of the day. The tea tent was a great place to meet for a cuppa (accompanied by one of Jean's great cakes) and a quick word on anything from the weather to the quality of the software on Starlight Xpress cameras (apologies to John (Astronome) & NickH for the blank looks B)). I'll be back for SGL7 and will do my best to get to darker skies more often (thanks to Mark (mdstuart) for showing me how quick you should be able to find Messier objects). All round - a great weekend. Thanks to everyone I met and all those I should have.

One final thanks to Helen for the shortwave joke that's kept me smiling for the last 2 days :).

I'd like to add my thanks in here too. I had a great first star party and I'm now looking forwards to the next one! Thanks to Peter for the solar filter and the chance to play with your lenses, thanks to James for the collimation (it was much better) and thanks to all those camped around me who made my couple of days really enjoyable (and helped me move my dob around). Thanks especially to all the team who made it all possible!

Andrew

Id just like to add my thanks to both Ant and Helen I did not manage to actually get there but they both helped out with passing on information to others. And arranging forward shipment of that I could not collect in person. Manny many thanks

Regards Andy

And from me too!!

Helen, Mike, Mark and Jean did an amazing job although she did fail on arranging a volcano for this year :icon_eek::rolleyes::D

I would also like to thank Helen's husband Mike, her dad, her neighbour and anyone else she managed to rope in to assist!! They did a sterling job in supporting Helen, and on the day too!

I said last year that we would have a tough job beating Mike's organisation for SGL5 - well, I think Helen succeeded!!!

I will add my thanks to those that made SGL6 possible. My first SGL and I must say a lot warmer than Kielder!

Entertaining and informative talks, plenty of tea and cakes, BBQ and a fantastic quiz. Excellent.

Can't wait until next year!

I'd like to add my thanks and appreciation for the organisers, mods and others who made my stay a real pleasure. I had a lot of 'DOH' moments when I ask some questions which, with hindsight, had obvious answers lol. Left this morning to drop Toms dob off in Crewe (I don't recall bringing a frac down for him but one mysteriously went back :icon_eek: ). On my way home for a long soak in the bath and a proper dinner :rolleyes:

Next time I'll have a tent I can stand up in !

As with all the others comments, I too applaud Helen, Mike, Jean, and those who gave their time to help others in the way of tuition, and tutorials. I'm sure A lot more knowledge has been gained at this event.

On a personal note, I want to thank Helen's husband Mike, for bringing his Antarctic Photo Albums to Lucksall.

It was a real pleasure perusing his wonderful images of that exraordinary trip to the South Pole. Truly splendid pictures of both dramatic land,sea, and sky scapes, and not least my favourite creatures, the Penguins.

Many thanks Mike.:icon_eek:

Ron.

Thanks guys :icon_eek: All your comments, so many smiling faces, and the fact that Lewys wants to come again next year :D, have made the effort worthwhile.

I did have a great support team though. So in the best Oscar tradition I'd like to thank...

MikeP - without his help, support, and spreadsheet and word search wizardary, I'd have been lost!

Mark at Beaufort - having a man on the ground, with local knowledge and contacts, made it so much easier. Thanks particularly for your 'welcome' duties for early arrivals, I know they really appreciated it.

Jean - for putting together the packs, baking, and being an extra pair of hands (and generally stopping me overdoing things :D)

Ant - for Sky Guides, colouring sheets and pencils, and notices

Daz - for remembering all the cables, the tea, coffee etc ;)

FLO - for general support and providing kit for people to play with in the Welcome Tent

All the speakers/hands-on experts:

Mark (MDStuart) - the 'human goto' - for encouraging us to go off and find things ourselves (we'll post his really helpful handout in the observing section and make it a sticky!)

Steve (Ibbo!) - for informing and entertaining all ages with his solar system presentation

NickH - for remote imaging (shame about the clouds :D) and general solar encouragement

Daz, Tony, Ant, Ian, John, Russ, MartinB, Mark - for providing hands on, interactive sessions on all aspects of astronomy

I also to have to thank my family - my husband Mike for his patience (particularly coping with brainstorming sheets on the walls of the dining room :D and paper everywhere for the last week or so). And my Mum and Dad pitched in too - quite literally in that in addition to bringing stuff up to Lucksall for me they then helped pitch our tent (a first for my mother!). :rolleyes:

...and finally, to all those who attended, enjoyed and shared - that's what really made the weekend special :D

Helen

PS sorry about no volcano :D

We have just got back and unloaded the car, which took some doing.

My wife Krys and myself would also like to add our thanks for the sterling effort by Helen, MikeP, Mike, Mark and Jean, and all the others who made this such a success.

Also thanks to MikeP's wife for the almond slices, Yum!

I too would like to thank and applaud the efforts you guys, Helen, Mike, Jean and all the others, put into making it a superbly organised Star Party. I would like to thank my neighbours for being so friendly...... and hardly a snore to be heard....except mine.

Also a thanks to Martin (:icon_eek: for his excellent imaging sessions.

Pete

Archived