Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn with Enceladus, Rhea & Tethys processed in Registax V6...

Kokatha man

Registax Version6 came out the other day.....I was going to leave it well alone for awhile but others making such a fuss over its' release had me download it late this arvo.....basically it aligns in a much more sophisticated manner afa I can determine.....and my (new) use of noise trapping in V5 (which has been around for yonks but I'd only really just gotten a proper handle on the other day!) was rendered a little obsolete!:)

Version 6 has this feature as a much better integrated tool imho, but the alignment seemed to be the real plus to me - I found that Saturn's moons were much more visible using this feature in Version 6 and making it easier to enhance them in CS4 afterwards.....

I also think that the trial I did using R6's "noise trapping" as opposed to R5's applications showed a slight improvement in overall detail clarity.....I tried to do closely identical processings but had ninox'd the V5 images to 400x400 and they did not show Tethys out to the far right in the capture window - but re-ninoxing with a crop of 600x400 for Registax6 allowed me to reveal this 3rd moon in the image.

The seeing was noticeably poorer than for the images of the night before (this was taken Monday 29th March local time whereas the other was on 28th March LT)

But getting some moons in the frame with Saturn is allways a bonus imho..!B)

post-16205-133877556322_thumb.jpg

Looks very good - the rings are really bright; opposition effect I suppose.

Hi Brinders, Spikey and Brian, thank you: I believe that's called the "Seeliger Effect." And yes, in capture I've noticed that the blue channel especially displays very brightly-lit rings.....:)

Thanks Isabelle and James - there allways seems to be something "extra" about a moon or 2 in the frame (most prolly 'cos it distracts you from looking too hard at the planet itself..!)B):):grin:

But it really was quite noticeable that the moons were more visible after the Registax V6 processings of this and my previous "Saturn & Dione" images.....

it really was quite noticeable that the moons were more visible after the Registax V6 processings of this and my previous "Saturn & Dione" images.....

Jovian & Saturnian moons always seem to show up better if you turn up the sharpening. What's impressive about your images is that the satellite has been rendered more visible without sharpening the planet enough to cut yourself shaving on ... not a fault that your image has, the planet & rings look just about perfect to me.

I'll be trying Registax v6 next time the seeing cooperates ... Saturn was just a fuzzy blob last night, it was hard to focus at x108 ...

Thanks Brian and John - I was a little "fast & loose" putting this together and erred with the levels adjustments for Tethys.....it should have been in between Rhea and Enceladus in brightness to reflect their relative magnitudes vis each other - I'll certainly do this for when I make my final processigs for my "archive records.":rolleyes:

It can be quite tricky selecting the moons and making the approriate adjustments (good eye/hand coordination in CS4:evil6:) but from my very brief practising with RV6 it does seem to make this particular aspect of planetary processing a little easier.....although I have no idea why from a technical understanding, except to speculate that a better aligned planet probably equates to better aligned and thus more discernable moons.....:icon_eek:

Archived