Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope choice

Hello!

So decided to get back into astronomy - used to have a telescope however took up IT went to uni, and had to sell it to get some money :). Anyway just at the end of my course and im looking to buy a reasonable telescope. Been looking around and ive found 2 that im interested in- but could do with some more advice/ opinions.

The 2 im thinking of are:

SkyWatcher Skyhawk-114/1000 EQ1

Celestron astromaster 130EQ.

Does anyone have any opinions of these 2? If so which one would be better?

I think both have spherical mirrors.

I therefore wouldn't consider either.

SW do a 130P a 150P and and a 150PL.

My preference would be the 150PL for the higher f number, the other 2 are both f/5's and so need more attention when in general use.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for or wanting. Just spending money on a scope that you may regret very quick is a waste.

If im honest I was trying to spend £200 or under - was aiming under £150 so that I could learn around the sky- and then buy a better scope in a year or so. I have used binoculars just want a little more then that really. (sorry If I sound silly)

Squif - It'll be hard to find anything (new) decent within this budget.

I'd keep an eye on the: U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

I've seen a lot of interesting s/h scopes up for sale on that site.

Join the local astronomy club - they are always welcoming; go observing with them, try out their gear; they will give you the best advise.

Wow thankyou nicnac!

The flextube one looks really awsome although im wondering whether the Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P might be a really good contender - I think I may need to undertake some further research! Would you say that a skywatcher scope would be a better option over a celestron?

Wow thankyou nicnac!

The flextube one looks really awsome although im wondering whether the Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P might be a really good contender - I think I may need to undertake some further research! Would you say that a skywatcher scope would be a better option over a celestron?

In this part of the market, yes.

Olly

Archived