Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best skys for ages!

macusermike

Hi all. Was out last night with my scope and the sky was the clearest Ive seen in Hull for ages, was out from about 7.30 till 11.30. The real bonus was I managed to see the Andromeda galaxy for the first time! At least I think thats what it was. Not really that visually impressive but was very pleased all the same to see my first galaxy, especially as I have been searching for it since I bought my scope. If I'm not mistaken I think I also saw another fuzzy galaxy below and to the right which was a bit fainter. I don't have any filters and I guess an OIII filter would make it stand out better? Also I only have the eyepieces that came with my SkyWatcher, a 10mm, 25mm and 2xBarlow. There probably not the best quality optically and I'm thinking of upgrading to some Meade 5000's (when I get a buyer for my kidney ;-)). I hear they are very good and should improve the view greatly.

I also had a great view of Saturn passing close to the moon. It was amazing to watch and would have made a great photo if I had a camera (something else to add to the ever increasing shopping list). Also the Orion Nebula was stunning as always, everytime I see it I'm never disappointed.

Anyway, I'm going to try again tonight, the weather is supposed to be even better!! So its out with the charts this afternoon to see what else I can find.

It was great here as well, except for the moon, and that did a dance for us with Saturn, very entertaining. First go with my new camera and managed to get some actual images for a change. I'm hoping the moon is less intrusive light wise tonight as the forecast is for more of the same. Better go have a nap eh?

Captain Chaos

I know what you mean about the moon captain. I was out again last night, only this time I was out just before dark and had a good couple of hours before the moon popped over the roof tops. The views where fantastic, even though light polluted. Had another great view of Andromeda and what I now think is M110? I used my bino's to scan the sky and saw quite a few faint fuzzy smudges one was around Dec 64o RA 12h 40m (give or take). When I put the scope on it I saw what looked like a dense packed star cluster. I stood and looking at it for quite some time. Beautiful! Saw quite a few things like that last night for the first time. Also got a great look at Saturn again, but this time managed to see some of it's moons, don't know which ones though, 3 quite close to Saturn and one further out.

I got my clearest view ever of Saturn on Friday night as the seeing was better than usual - I was able to go up to 240x before things started to go awry. The nearby moon was a good chance to see how my eyepieces fared with a bright object just outside the view and they didn't do so well but mever mind, the views were amazing!

Archived