SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Revelation 90mm F500 doublet - Any good?

Ive just come across one of these on telescopehouse, and F5.5 is a very attractive prospect indeed.

Trouble is, I cant find any detailed specs on it (ie: glass type used and tube weight). Revelation doesnt seem to have a website (well, its not on google) so its hard to find any more info. There arent any reviews on it yet either.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

The 90mm and 100mm doublets both use FPL-51 glass. I had the 100mm and it was really good for visual. CA was well enough controlled that you could forget about it and you'd really have to go looking for CA to find any.

It was a very well built scope and reminded me of a William Optics scope for build quality. Great focuser. Optically I would say it's not quite as sharp and contrasty as the SkyWtacher 80ED or 100ED FPL-53 doublets, but it's still very, very good though and has better build quality.

Revelation is Telescope House's own brand. They just order them in from the Chinese factory to their specs.

http://www.longperng.com.tw/product_in2.asp?id=476

I really liked the 100mm version, but after a head to head with a WO FLT98 it was sold a week later. :)

John

Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I was looking for. :)

Hmmm... FPL51 ey? I guess that wouldnt make any difference if NB imaging, but I need something that will do well in RGB too. Im finding it hard to find a good, light & fast APO without paying loads for it.

The WO Megrez 90 is an alternative, but I would need the FR to get it go faster (more expense). It all adds to weight too... ive set a limit of 5kg for the total payload on my mount and a tube weight of 3.5kg would be a bit over that when I factor in the tube rings, FW, camera and finderguider.

But the weather for the past 6 months has been so dire Im desparate to get as much speed as possible. I might as well get the FR for the ED80 and chug along at f6.3 until I can afford something with a bit more beef.

cheers

Rob

Thanks, it looks good, but I would still be in the 80mm bracket. However they also do a 90mm F5.5 too but that looks like another FPL51 doublet. Actually, it might be worth just putting all the cash towards an EQ6 instead, then I could have whatever weight OTA i wanted :)

Thanks, it looks good, but I would still be in the 80mm bracket. However they also do a 90mm F5.5 too but that looks like another FPL51 doublet. Actually, it might be worth just putting all the cash towards an EQ6 instead, then I could have whatever weight OTA i wanted :)

Why is it always just another £1,000.00 would get you just the gear you really want.B):D:D

John

Why is it always just another £1,000.00 would get you just the gear you really want.

Not quite right, £1000 gets you the next step in the equipment ladder at which you will be happy for about 6 months, then the cycle starts over again.

Not quite right, £1000 gets you the next step in the equipment ladder at which you will be happy for about 6 months, then the cycle starts over again.

Very silly of me....I should have put "A lottery win would get you just the gear you really want". :)

John

Archived