Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It finally happened!

April 1st, 2011

After watching one of my favourite science fiction movies of all time "Alien", I decided to take out my telescope. It was around 10:00pm and since the night sky doesn't become dark till later, this was the perfect time.

Orion was already very low to the horizon. It was with ultimate respect that I gave it a wave goodnight. The final curtain was falling for my dearest constellation since the center stage will soon be ready for the spring / summer night sky.

I sat in my astro-chair watching the stars as my eyes became accustomed to the darkness. I can't do this comfortably during the winter months because of the cold which made this particular moment that much more divine! I knew where my next deep sky challenge would be: M44, the Beehive cluster. I told myself that my eyesight was NOT going to be a barrier this time and since the moon was nowhere to be found, neither would there be any celestial interference. With my back facing west, I decided to take a small detour to knock on Saturn's door. It was bright and very welcoming but the meeting wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. As I looked through my eyepiece, the fact that my telescope needed collimation (the mirrors need to be realigned) screamed under my skin. Soon my collimator would arrive. Soon, very soon,...

My thirst for something a little father tugged once more and I set my viewfinder to the north. My target resided in the constellation of Cancer. For some reason, I had trouble distinguishing it's stars. This baffled me since my area is usually relatively free of light pollution. A little push here and a couple of quick glimpses there, and,.. Oh there goes a satellite! Oh yeah back to the cluster,...

I had found it!

Once again, the light bothered me. Turning around I looked to the west and,..

:) HOLY ---- !! B)

(Mind you if it really had been blessed fecal matter, Steven's pictures of the event would have surely never come out this good!)

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010052.jpg

All winter, the news announced solar activity, and many nights I made my way outside to be welcomed by clouds. After sometime, I pretty much told myself that "I would see it when I see it". The fact that I had my back to them. completely unaware all this time doesn't show me in my best light. I call myself a backyard astronomer and don't even take the time to look at ALL the regions of my backyard? I guess I became too involved in my quest to locate my little Messier Object that I neglected the (ahem) big picture of things to the west!

Isabelle

Fantastic report, so thrilling! I can feel the excitement now and I completely remember the anticipation of waiting to see the lights. I went to scandinavia for 3 weeks and didn't B)

I am really happy for you :)

The time I seen the aurora I felt it was just in front of me, could reach out to it. Rising high into the night sky and dancing and shimmering it was something to see. The only reason I knew it was there was a rude awakiening and shouting, getting out of the sleeping bag I was to see it for the first time. The other people had neither seen or heard of it and I gave them an explanation of how it came about, faces went from belwilderment to wonderment, nice to see :). Thanks Isabelle B)

Jim

Thanks Jim! I had always been interested in the night sky but seeing the auroras for the first time made me appreciate it it to such a deeper level! I see that you have quite impressing equipment there Jim! You must have been seriously interested in astronomy for a long time! When you saw the northern lights, was the interest in astronomy already sparked?

Isabelle

Hi Isabelle,

Another great report.

So pleased for you, you've waited patiently for this and deserved to enjoy this very special event. Most of us in th UK can only dream of seeing them. So glad you posted some great pics.

Have seen M44 yet?

Keep up the great reports.

All the best.

Yes Alan,.. I did indeed have chance to find M44. The Beehive cluster is definitely worth looking for! I will have to knock on it's door once more when I've completed my collimation because I believe that I will see a HUGE difference. Thank you so much for the ongoing encouragement!

Isabelle

Thanks Michael! I've seen much nicer pictures of the aurora on this forum but these are indeed very special to me because, well,,.. I experienced them! I hope that one day you can marvel at their beauty through your own personal experience.

Isabelle

Archived