SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

17 new galaxies tonight..woohoo

WayBig

I managed to bag all the messiers in the Virgo coma cluster and a few others that I've been unable to spot before including m101 and the third of the Leo treo.

I can really recommend the explore scientific 82degree eps. So contrasty. The faintest I saw tonight was 10.13, up til now I've struggled with anything above about 9.2. The sky seemed particularly dark aswell, and it was warm too...perfect.

I'm off to try to get some sleep now, but expect I'm a bit too excited to sleep...17 new galaxies woohoo.:)

Bagged a few myself as well, that's a good collection you got.

Where in the UK sells the Explore Scientific EPs then?

I couldn't find a uk dealer, but there are a few dealers in the US offering them from $90 upwards depending on focal length. I used handsonoptics.com. After vat and import duties it came to about £90 each for 2 eps (I chose the 2 lightest ones so as not to upset my dob and because the focal lengths worked for me)

It was a march special offer, not sure if it is being extended

The 14mm isn't quite sharp at the edge in my fast dob but is still sharper than my sw aero at the edge, the 6.7mm is.

I couldn't find a uk dealer, but there are a few dealers in the US offering them from $90 upwards depending on focal length. I used handsonoptics.com. After vat and import duties it came to about £90 each for 2 eps (I chose the 2 lightest ones so as not to upset my dob and because the focal lengths worked for me)

It was a march special offer, not sure if it is being extended

The 14mm isn't quite sharp at the edge in my fast dob but is still sharper than my sw aero at the edge, the 6.7mm is.

interesting stuff! i was going to get an sw aero for my fast dob due to it being highly corrective. maybe i should look into these explore EP's too.

Cheers

Chris,

Good nights viewing there and a nice haul of galaxies,when the sky finally improved after midnigt bagged a few in the Virgo cluster as well,the M84-M86 area producing 5 galaxies in the eyepiece with 250mm SW.

Cheers

Jon

In my area we had a clearish night, but the stars didnt seem that bright & only some of the major constellations where visible - maybe due to the orange LP which dominates the area. So well done with the 'M' spotting.

As a very casual observer the Virgo super cluster was a bit of a revelation B) Last week i noted the Plough overhead and remembered the swaith of galaxies marked " below" ( i warned you i was casual ) it on my DeepMap 600. I spun the dob round due south and there they were. :) Excellent stuff and kudos to you WayBig for identifing them.

Clear Skies

will.

Congratulations! Excellent haul. Visiting Virgo is a great way to boost your Messier count. If you get a chance have a close look at the area around M84 and M86. There are several NGC objects there, well within range of your scope. I got 7 in one FOV. Markarian's eyes are particularly good.

Clear skies,

Michael

Archived