Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at widefield

Hi,

This is my first widefield of Ursa Mijor, however it looks as though alkaid has gone green?

ursamajor.jpg

This is just a single 20 second exposure at iso800, with a canon 300D 18-55mm lens. Feel free to tweak the photo. Planning on next time taking more exposures and stacking, but im curious as to why alkaid turned green?

Thanks

Carl

you need to size down the image a bit, also I opened it up in cs3 and there isn't much information on it. I'd suggest shooting at least iso1600.

also I'm pretty certain thats Ursa Major, and that your star that turned green is Alkaid.

Oops..thats embarrasing, sorry tadakun, ive resized it. Think ive got confused by both minor and part of major cause of the similar shape (ish). Thanks for correcting me that im looking at the wrong constellation, but at least ill know where to look for M101 now! Looking clear for later on tonight so ill have another attempt at this.

Oops..thats embarrasing, sorry tadakun, ive resized it. Think ive got confused by both minor and part of major cause of the similar shape (ish). Thanks for correcting me that im looking at the wrong constellation, but at least ill know where to look for M101 now! Looking clear for later on tonight so ill have another attempt at this.

hey no problem, it's a steep learning curve. I know this well I've only been really into astronomy now since January. Ursa Major, too me looks like a pan for cooking things. While Ursa Minor looks more like a ladle.

Ursa Minor looks like such

adrasteia.jpg

Archived