Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello everyone

MikeP

Hello, my name is Mike and I live near East Grinstead in West Sussex. I have always been interested in astronomy but have only ever observed with binoculars. Having recently retired, I'm itching to buy a telescope and get observing, but what should I buy?

I'm sure I'll want to look at the moon and planets, but I'm really drawn more to DSOs. My garden is not light polluted, but has obstructed views, so whatever I buy must be capable of being moved around a little bit. Within reason, weight isn't too much of a problem.

In the long run, I'd like to take pictures of what I see. At present, I have no idea what camera I would use, but I'd probably buy a new digital Canon since I have used 35mm Canons for many years.

In a response to an earlier post it was said that members here love to spend newcomers money vicariously. I don't have a budget (but do have a wife/financial controller!), so go for it.

Mike

Welcome Mike, warm up the chequebook!

For DSO viewing you need as much aperture as you can get to collect more light. Big aperture 'scopes are either Newtonian or Schmidt Cassegrain, (with a couple of exotic others) ro you need to look for something 200mm or bigger in aperture. light collection for DSOs needs a fast 'scope so look for something f/5 or thereabouts.

Planets are bright, therefore don't need much aperture but are small and so need a lot of magnification. High magnification 'scopes have a slow focal ratio usually so are f/10 to f/15 when advertised.

This means that you will need a different 'scope for the two jobs (think set of golf clubs).

Dependant upon negotiations with the spending police, I'd go for a 200mm f/5 Skywatcher Newt. sat on a HEQ5 GOTO (PRO) mount plus a Skymax 127 Maksutov for the planets.

If you want to possibly get into astrophotography, then Canon is the way to go with DSLRs, as they have free software available which other brands don't.

Are you skint yet?

Captain Chaos

Welcome to SGL Mike,

CC's words are wise, but...

alternatively, if it will be a while before you get into astrophotography, you could make the most of your observing period and buy a 10" or larger dosonian. They are easier to shift than a newt on an EQ mount, and offer more aperture for the cash. Planetary is still possible, but you may find problems tracking.

Andrew

Welcome aboard Mike :rolleyes:

Dependant upon negotiations with the spending police, I'd go for a 200mm f/5 Skywatcher Newt. sat on a HEQ5 GOTO (PRO) mount plus a Skymax 127 Maksutov for the planets.

That'd be good 8)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200heq5pro

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mak127ota

If you want to possibly get into astrophotography, then Canon is the way to go with DSLRs, as they have free software available which other brands don't.

Canon DSLR's also tend to use low-noise CMOS sensors.

PS: Don't worry if your thread suddenly disappears - it'll just be one of the moderators moving it to the Equipment Discussion board.

PS: Don't worry if your thread suddenly disappears - it'll just be one of the moderators moving it to the Equipment Discussion board

Tricky one that Steve, most folk of late have introduced themselves then gone into asking about

what gear thay need which is fine by my reckoning till they get used to the forum layout.

Suppose if it get's lengthy then it might warrant moving :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your warm welcomes.

You seem to have picked up on my rash comment about not having a budget. It wasn't strictly true because there is a limiting mechanism - in practice, everything costs me twice as much as the advertised price because the wife takes it as a signal to spend the same amount on boring things like clothes and furniture. Of course she doesn't know what astronomical stuff costs and what the eye doesn't see ..... but on reflection (no pun) I don't know what clothes and furniture cost either hmmmm.

I do have some questions about the advice offered, but I'll start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Thanks again.

Archived