Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150p with Canon 300D

Can someone please help. Tried connecting my cannon 300D camera to my skywatcher 150p using the direct dslr(unscrewing the EP housing and screwing the T-adapter in and attaching the camera to this.

Then took a 2 sec exposure of what i was hoping was gonna be saturn appearing on the photo but instead got the end of the telescope thing. (Pic Below in attached thumbnails)

Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Cloudy again!!

Skywatcher Explorer 150P

Cannon 300D

EQ3-2

6x30 Finderscope

post-25634-13387755593_thumb.jpg

was the focusser in as far it would go? I know the 130P can't achieve focus with the direct SLR connection, it might be the same with the 150P. You need to connect through a barlow, or buy a low profile focusser so you can get the camera closer to the secondary mirror.

Yes you need one of the connectors you have shown and a barlow like this. You might be better off asking for advice in the imaging section, there a lot of folk using Canons. As regards looking at things, Saturn is always worth it, and fairly easy to find, Jupiter and Mars are also good for a look. You could also try and look at DSOs and go through the messier list. You will find some sound advice in the observing section. I would imagine you are already using Stellarium for a sky map?

Just looking at your equipment list, do you have a tracking motor for your mount? it makes life much easier once you find something and want to keep it in the eyepiece.

Was the focuser really at the limit of travel and the image still getting towards focus (I mean was the image above getting smaller when you hit the end of the travel)?

I am sure that I had read other people on here being successful with exactly your set-up and without the need for a barlow.

In fact my C6-NGT is very similar to your scope and comes from the same factory and I can focus my 300D with no trouble and with ample back focus to spare. I'd double check before going the barlow route. Nothing stopping the focuser from going right in, like the locking screw?

A DSLR and the 150P does work.... very well if fact.

Your pic looks like youre still a fair way off focus. You should have shortest possible optical train for it to work. All you need to use is the t-adapter that comes with the scope and the t-ring on your camera. Though the one that comes with the scope is a bit ropey in my opinion (does'nt hold much weight and no anti-slip recess).

You might be better off using the MaxDSLR adapter, that will get your camera chip a wee bit closer to the secondary mirror which should give you more spare focuser travel - and allow you to use a 2" filter.

Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor

Also remember that a barlow should only be used on the moon or planets when imaging. Never on DSOs, that would be a shortcut to fail city :)

Im glad the fact that the 150P can focus using the direct connection has been confirmed, as I asked in my first post it looks like the focusser is a long way off.

Andy did you focus on Saturn with an eyepiece then remove it and attach the camera? You need to attach the camera then do the focussing through the camera.

All you need to use is the t-adapter that comes with the scope

I didn't need that either. :) Just screwed t-ring onto the threaded part of the 1.25" eyepiece adapter, unless that is what you meant, I didn't use the extension tube/2" adapter that came with it.

If you unscrew the eyepiece holder assembly, youre just left with a bare t-thread on to which you can screw your t-ring. But like I said earlier, its best to get one thats made for the job becuase once you put any considerable load on it theres a real danger of it slipping out or going a bit skew-iff.

Ive just had a dig through the "astro box" and have a comparison for you.

The bog standard adapter you get with the scope is on the left, the MaxDSLR is on the right. I know which one id trust my 1000d with :)

post-18171-133877556023_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies

I'll have another go tonight, i focused with eyepiece then put camera on. I'll have a play.

Not got a motor yet. Got to save up.

If I need another adapter I'll subscribe to Sky At Night Mag and get one as a free gift with a 4gb sd Card.

Thanks for the replies

I'll have another go tonight, i focused with eyepiece then put camera on.

Thats not the way to set up for a DSLR, you will find yourself miles out of focus.

The best way is to mount the camera at prime focus using any of the t-adapters mentioned earlier and focus on a bright star (ie: Sirius) using the viewfinder or live view (if your camera has it).

A good place to start (once its all hooked up) will be rack the tube all the way in and then bring it out about 5mm, you shouldnt be too far off then.

You can also get bahtinov masks for the 150P if you really want to nail your focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get pic of the moon using the direct dslr connection, haven't tried saturn again yet, although the moon wasn't huge so no chance of picking up saturn, gonna try using the barlow method. I Want to get some close up pics how is the possible?

Subscribed to Sky At Night Magazine and got 1.25" T Adapter free but don't know i need it barlow has a camara connection also.

It's stopped raining here and clear sky so now gonna have a play.

post-25634-133877562339_thumb.jpg

Archived