Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My telescope arrived today

Angelika

My Orion SkyQuest XT8 arrived today. I didn't lose any time after work, I got the base all put together and set it up in my livingroom so I could show it off to my husband. He was impressed with the size. I was pretty impatient for the sky to get dark. Finally it was almost dark enough to play outside and I moved the scope onto my deck. Unfortunately there are alot of trees around my neighborhood and there is still too much snow on the deck to move it around much, but I set it up, turned on my EZ finder and just checked things out. I think I even found Saturn but I couldn't focus in very well. It wasn't until I brought my baby into the house that I found I had tightened the focus screw which was probably why I wasn't able to focus in on what I think may have been my first planet. Oh well, there are plenty of nights to come for me to find it again. This is gonna be so much fun this summer. Happy dark, clear skies to everyone.

Hi Angelika,

I hope you have many hours of enjoyment with your new telescope. I got my first telescope (8" reflector), just in time to see comet Shoemaker-Levy impacting Jupiter. No camera was available to me at the time, so I sketched what I saw through the eyepiece. I have those pictures in my log book and looking at them still gives me a real buzz even after all this time.

Liz

Archived