Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In two minds, not sure what to do....

I've got a F6 200mm Skywatcher Newt, and when i've had time I have been playing around with imaging the moon with SPC900's (scope is mounted on a HEQ5). Now I know this isn't a good scope for delving into other imaging (or so i'm told), but i'm tempted to have a go anyway....

Here's my dilemma - the focuser on the scope is knackered really, I need to replace it....what focuser would you recommend for imaging? or, is it not worth spending hundreds on a new focuser and should I get a little refractor for roughly the same money and try with that instead? (bare in mind I only have about 300 to spend, max - but I will have more soon to get a half decent camera and guide camera (using a finder/guide scope i've already got))

What about Crayford ?

That's what i've been looking at Rich, and within my budget.....i'm just not sure if I should spend the money on a focuser for this scope, or start trying to get another rig together....as I keep hearing conflicting opinions about what I can achieve with imaging with this scope!

Hello Barry,

I think i'll probably do just that, bite the bullet and improve on what I already have.....it was the first scope I bought, the only one I have, and has a bit of sentimental value anyway, plus i've always been impressed with what it has offered me visually.

Am I right in assuming you've had good results imaging with yours?

SW 200p is a great scope for imaging.

Stick with it and get a new focuser.

Better still have you tried repairing the old one.

There are lots of people here with bits that might help you.

Have a look at it, take some pics and post on here for parts

SW 200p is a great scope for imaging.

Stick with it and get a new focuser.

Better still have you tried repairing the old one.

There are lots of people here with bits that might help you.

Have a look at it, take some pics and post on here for parts

Hello Pat,

I sort of repaired the old focuser, well good enough that it works for now anyway....the pinion wasn't holding against the rack, the small metal plate wasn't doing it's job any more, so I made a new one up....which seems to be ok for now.....i'm going to get a new focuser though, the decision has now been made lol...just gotta wait for FLO to reopen on tuesday before ordering....

Now my next dilemma is what camera to go for......DSLR's are out of the question as I can't be doing with moving the primary to obtain focus, and I don't understand enough about focal reducers etc to go down that route, or even if that would work with my set-up.... :)

So many questions lol......still, it beats having none I suppose, since I wouldn't be learning then B)

Yes imaging is a complex subject that I cant pretend to know all the answers to, but I cant clear up a couple of concerns you raised in your last post,

I dont believe DSLR is out of the question for two reasons, I think the 200p tube made short enough so prime focus can be reached, but even if that is not true, another solution is to fit a low profile focuser, something to ask FLO about tuesday?

There not much to know about focal reducers, they are threaded, eyepieces and camera adapters are threaded, screw one into the other, job done, new focal length.

Barry

Archived