Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium

Hi.

Does Stellarium show you the night sky as seen by the eye or does it show you the sky in reverse as seen through a scope?

Just trying to find M51 and Stellarium says it is one place and another book I have says it is in another, Stellarium says it is up and right from Alkaid but my book says it is down and right from Alkaid.

Cheers.

Stellarium's default is to show you the sky the way you'd see it with the naked eye.

Given that both M51 and Alkaid appear to move around the pole star then up, down, left and right are somewhat subjective. Right now I'd say it was up and right, but I'd probably usually describe its location as 1/4 of the way from Alkaid to Chara (beta Canes Venatici).

James

Ohh dear I feel rather silly - the book I am looking at shows the Plough (part of Ursa major) as being "the right way up" if you know what I mean, but looking at Stellarium and outside, it is on it's side, which makes the book and Stellarium correct.

Sorry to waste your time guys but thanks.

:)

You can switch between view by eye or by scope in Stellarium. Press ctrl+m.

Its up and right if viewing by eye.

I think this just changes the type of mount you are using so gives movement on different planes....

Stellarium shows the night sky as you see it with your eyes. The location of M51 being above or below Aklaid depends on when it is viewed. M51 is in the East at present (21:50) and slightly above and to the right of Aklaid. By 04:50 tommorrow morning it will appear to below and to the left of Aklaid.

Peter

For the record, there are optional buttons for flipping the picture in Stellarium, you just need to enable them:

Open the Configuration window (F2), go to the Navigation tab, under Other check the "Show flip buttons" box. They will appear in the bottom toolbar.

I have it on my ipad and its by my side when viewing , its even got a red light mode.

Yes there are loads of settings you just need to config it to your own prefferences

I have it on my ipad and its by my side when viewing , its even got a red light mode.

Yes there are loads of settings you just need to config it to your own prefferences

The first sensible reason I have heard for getting a fondle slab!

The first sensible reason I have heard for getting a fondle slab!

"Fondle Slab" lol...........i,ve just bought the IPAD 2 a few days ago its easier to manage when outside

Archived