Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Portnellan Crainlarich

m.tweedy

Thinking of going to a lodge her on monday for 4 nights. The owner tells me the skies around there are good. Does anyone know the area as I am thinking of taking my grab and go gear with me. Also any touristy bits for me and my mrs to do during the day.

Thank you for looking.

yes the skies are pretty good depepending on the weather. the lochs around there have seals and otters if you are into nature. kilmartin is just up the road which has lots of stone circles theres a henge round there as well but we didn't find it Oban is a fair trip but they do a tour round the distillery and theres plenty of shops. plenty of good eating places especially for seafood otherwise its quiet and relaxing. The scots are lovely freindly people, they may hate the english as a race but its not personal there we were always treated generously and courteously the west coast of scotland is one of my favourite places in the world a lovely place to chill. just realised i got the wrong place crianlarich is more central We've been there as well its nice but you pretty much have to drive everywhere Oban is the nearest big town its about an hours drive and kilmartin is about 40mins from oban the comment on the hospitality is as true for crianlarich as for the west coast have a good time

I'm from Stirling and I can confirm that you will have some of the best dark skys in Europe very close to you so def bring your scope. Crianlarich itself is quite small and i don't remember there being anything to do except go to the pub. However the scenery is magnificent and I would suggest hill walking during the day. Maybe climb (walk up) a munro if you like that sort of thing. I would also go to a small place called Killin which is nice. From there you have access tho Loch Tay which is lovely. I would also visit the Scottish Crannog Centre which is really interesting. A Crannog is a hut in the middle of a loch build thousands of years ago. It is a very 'outdoorsy' sort of place which is for walker/cyclists..those kind of people. I would also strongly disagree with Rowan when he states that Scots hate the English as a race. Sorry Rowan..not guilty. Are there some mindless morons who do? Probably, but there are mindless morons everywhere! Now friendly rivalry that different! I do always enjoy watching the england football team getting beaten!

I have just returned from a short break near there (Kilmartin) all i can say is its stunning!. veiws to amaze you, the skies are very dark and very clear(weather permitting of course). I took my scope with me and it was well used! please dont hesitate just go, and hope the weather gods look down on you!!!

All booked. Owner has confirmed that he will turn off all unnecessary lighting as he would like to look through my scope-he has a latent interest in astronomy I think. Us Geordie lads are cousins of the Scots and I have never had any problems-on the contrary I have always been made very welcome wherever I have gone. Wlll try to make use of our NTS membership.

It appears to be a very nice 5* wooden lodge on the top of a hill looking down onto Loch Dochart and Ben more. Will try Killin.

May also be first light for my new grab and go WO Megrez 90 (courtesy FLO) and possibly my Astrotrac set up. My wife has already said that she does not fancy me bringing the C11 and NEQ6 pro in the car as it takes up too much room.

My wife has already said that she does not fancy me bringing the C11 and NEQ6 pro in the car as it takes up too much room.

Well tell her she's welcome to stay home. :)

Seriously though, I love the area. We're going in October and I can't wait for a change to the skies here - my wife is even itching to get a look through the scope!

We go to that area a few times a year. Its really beautiful, the skies are really dark. We go hiking and to the pub mainly but if you like looking round castles Doune Castle is really good for a ruined one and the audio tour is excellent. They filmed some of Monty Python's The Holy Grail there and Terry Jones did the audio tour. Its about an hour from where you're staying.

We go to that area a few times a year. Its really beautiful, the skies are really dark. We go hiking and to the pub mainly but if you like looking round castles Doune Castle is really good for a ruined one and the audio tour is excellent. They filmed some of Monty Python's The Holy Grail there and Terry Jones did the audio tour. Its about an hour from where you're staying.

now added to my places to go list thank you

Archived