SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Storing a dob

OK just had a thought and dont know if it is possible and it may be a silly question but here goes:

Is it best when storing a dobsonian to leave it with the end cap on and pointing skywards or to leave the cap on and point down so that no condensation builds up on the mirror? :)

After use and when you bring it inside i think it's best to store it pointing down so like you said any moisture will run of, i tend to do this over night with all caps of to allow air flow etc , then when dry caps on on stand it back on its mount.

If you look at the mirrors after about 10mins of bringing it to the warm you will see how bad moisture forms on the mirrors, dont worry when it drys no marks are left.

I store my dob upright with caps on.

Me too. Not had any problems or marks on the mirror from doing it this way.

If it gets wet whilst I'm out then I do leave it at 90 degrees (like a white astronomical cannon :)) to dry off first.

I'd say upright with cap on for sure. Always good to have the mirror on the right side of gravity :)

I store mine horizontal in my shed using some large 'lipped' L brackets supplied with foam surround to prevent scratching. (positoned near the ground of course cus its a biggun!)

Matt

if its moist or gets ice on it, i'll leave it at an angle pointed into the ground to let any water run away from the mirrors. then i store it upright cap on with a plastic cover over it to ensure no dust gets in.

>.>

I left my dob upright in a cupboard for 9 years whilst my young children took up most of my spare time. When I got it out of the cupboard the primary was covered with dust, that over time and well and truely stuck itself on, and I was faced with washing the mirror. From then on I leave it horizontal with the cap on, so even if dust gets in, it will settle on the inside of the tube.

I left my dob upright in a cupboard for 9 years whilst my young children took up most of my spare time. When I got it out of the cupboard the primary was covered with dust, that over time and well and truely stuck itself on, and I was faced with washing the mirror. From then on I leave it horizontal with the cap on, so even if dust gets in, it will settle on the inside of the tube.

that was my worry! a double layer of thick plastic cover should help though. i don't fully trust the end cap on my dob for some reason. :)

after a session outside i always leave the caps of till its dew free, wipe the outside with kitchen towel ,i never put the caps on till its warmed back up to room temp,if ya leave the caps on the dew will stay in the tube, some times a just leave a old pillow case over the open end till the morning

that was my worry! a double layer of thick plastic cover should help though. i don't fully trust the end cap on my dob for some reason. :)

Mine was wrapped in a blanket to keep away dust and moisture, but because the mirror was the only horizonal surface, I guess thats where it stuck...If the dob is upside down, then the secondary will have (almost) the same issue, thats why I went for the horizonal position.

Check out green witch - I bought a water proof, dust proof almost bomb proof (ok maybe not) cover for a dobsonion mounted scope - it is hugh so will accomodate up to 12-14 inch scopes I think.

£26.09 + delivery, link below...

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

I store mine in the garage with this over the top so the scope is allways the same temp as the outside air, so no mositure should form on the mirror and the cover keeps it dust free.

Check out green witch - I bought a water proof, dust proof almost bomb proof (ok maybe not) cover for a dobsonion mounted scope - it is hugh so will accomodate up to 12-14 inch scopes I think.

£26.09 + delivery, link below...

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

I store mine in the garage with this over the top so the scope is allways the same temp as the outside air, so no mositure should form on the mirror and the cover keeps it dust free.

Cheers for that one!

looks like that has made the list!

just found this on the net

REMEMBER! TELESCOPE MIRRORS ARE POWERFUL CONCENTRATORS OF LIGHT.

Sunlight reflected off the face of a telescope mirror can cause BLINDNESS or START A FIRE! Always handle your mirror indoors or in the shade! The telescope described in these plans is for NIGHT USE ONLY. NEVER set up your telescope in a location where it may be reached by sunlight, and:

Explain that one the the Misses when she get's home. Your Telescope has just burnt the house down :).

Cheers for that one!

looks like that has made the list!

No probs mate, I ordered off that site, fast delivery and had no issues what so ever. The material used for the cover is really good, I would be quite happy leaving my scope out all night in the cover if I had too.

Archived