sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

New EQ5 Mount

FairviewSteve

I picked up my new EQ5 mount on Monday and assembled it yesterday and have a couple of questions for the community. I've not got the scope on it yet as this was moved somewhere else safe while moving house.

The mount has a polarscope already installed, with constellations etched into it, I thought this was an optional extra, is this correct?

Does anyone know where I can get extensions to the RA & DEC knobs so I can reduce some accidental movement?

Can the gears be used yo move it when the RA & DEC brakes are on? I.e. So it can't be moved by hand but can be rotated with the knobs.

That's it for now, I'll probably have more questions when I get the scope on it and have clear skies to use it. Thank you in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one about a month ago new for £220 and it also had the polar scope built in. I haven't measured the legs but they look like they might have been upgrade to 2'' as well. Will get the calipers out later to confirm.

I bought one about a month ago new for £220 and it also had the polar scope built in. I haven't measured the legs but they look like they might have been upgrade to 2'' as well. Will get the calipers out later to confirm.

I didn't measure the legs but not I think about it they do seem to be pretty thick, I'll measure later on too. Maybe SkyWatcher have upgraded the standard kit.

Steve,

I'd strongly advise an upgrade to the mtorised version. Its WAY more easy to move the mount around the sky.

Failing that, most astro-shops should carry those flexi-cable things that take the place of the knobs and allow you to stand-ff while guiding.

My old EQ5 did not have the PS installed, but I understand that for the last few years they have been fitted as standard.

It is possible to move the mount with the brakes on, but its no easy task to get smooth movement (here's where the motors come in). You will, however, do no harm to the mount by doing so - you'll just need to adjust the tension after a while to compensate for any wear.

Good Luck.

LMC

Hi Steve,

Motors aren't as crucial as you think. Most viewing under 250x is easy to hand guide as long as you pay attention and practice a bit. I have no problem with this on scopes with my students. They all get the hang of it in a short time.

If you aren't going to do photography right away, I'd consider a nice eyepiece and a barlow, maybe a light pollution filter first.

Dan

Sorry have to disagree, i've just upgraded my EQ5 with motors & it's just great !!

No more leaning over it to try and twiddle those knobs around.

Steve - I think the extenders are approx £20, could be worth just waiting & going straight to motors (£100).

Depends how much you want to spend and what you mean by 'good'. I have the SW ones in 1.25" and 2" for visual and imaging and they work fine for me, but there are other more expensive ones available elsewhere.

where did you buy the EQ5 from for that price?

I have my scope back now so when I'm free of the shackles of work today I will marry the two together and post a couple of pictures. Very excited to see it in action, though it'll probably be cloudy skies now forever.

Well I've attached scope to mount and have realised that what I have created appears to be a MONSTER, I will definately have to use a step to see through the eyepiece when it's pointing close to the zenith! Took a while to get the balance right in both directions.

The only let down for me at the moment is the tube rings. Orion Optics supplied me with a third ring with the mount which is attached above the ones securing the OTA to the mount, unfortunately I have to slacken the main ones off quite a lot to allow it to rotate as they're just felt lined and seem to have a lot of friction. I may have to look out for some others which have bearings.

Also as per some other posts on here, the setting circle on the RA axis is use to neither man nor beast as it rotates when it feels like it and stops/sticks at other times, might need to clean all the sticky grease out of it.

Can't wait for a clear night now!

post-25059-133877557362_thumb.jpg

Hi, I´ve ordered a skywatcher 200p with Eq5 mount with the hope to add motors later but I´ve been told on this site that the scope is heavy for this mount and the motors won´t cope . What do you think? Does the mount seem too weak for your scope?

I've not tried the mount with motors yet as I've not yet saved the money to buy them, and so far efforts to make some have been blocked.

The scope doesn't seem too heavy, admittedly the scope is just 1kg under the 9kg max payload but it still moves fine on the mount and the movement in RA and DEC is smooth using the fine correction knobs.

I was told by the people who both made the scope and who sold me that mount that it is capable so if I find it's not I'll be going back to them.

Hi, I´ve ordered a skywatcher 200p with Eq5 mount with the hope to add motors later but I´ve been told on this site that the scope is heavy for this mount and the motors won´t cope . What do you think? Does the mount seem too weak for your scope?

Nice one :icon_eek:

If you're going to pile it full with other kit - then maybe yes.

But mine seems to cope ok, with camera attached.

Nice one :icon_eek:

If you're going to pile it full with other kit - then maybe yes.

But mine seems to cope ok, with camera attached.

I´m really please to hear from someone who has this combo I was beginning to think I might have made a bad choice. The mounts people say are better for imagining (HEQ5 or HEQ6) cost far too much for me.

I´m really please to hear from someone who has this combo I was beginning to think I might have made a bad choice. The mounts people say are better for imagining (HEQ5 or HEQ6) cost far too much for me.

Exactly the same reason here :icon_eek:

Yes i'd of loved the HEQ6 - but it was a choice.

Start 2 months ago, or delay until possibly the end of the year.

• 2 months later...

For those that are interested I have now got the go-to upgrade for this mount, thanks to jnc71106 :), hopefully this weekend I will be able to fit it all together and re-photograph. Will need to re-balance as well.

great glad you got it ok. hope all goes ok with setting it up. check out the instructions thread i posted on here a couple of months ago it might come in handy

hope you get some nice clear skies

jake

To answer your question about using the slow-motion controls with the RA and DEC locks on, yes, no problem, they were designed for use with the main locks on, great for visual astronomy in my view, which is all I do. Never been tempted by motors to be honest, though I can appreciate their indispensibility in astro-phtography, I am well pleased with my EQ5 mount, perfect for the 200P and visual use. I fitted a polar-scope when I first had my telescope, but to be honest, never used it, bought 'just in case', but I always 'rough' polar align, which is good enough for visual use. I attach a picture of my set-up, along with my wife's Meade DS2090.

post-16182-133877615509_thumb.jpg