Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution how well did you score ????

jasperuk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL i cant believe i am winning with a rubbish score like 4.33 :D how do you see anything witha scorer of 1 :)

The hard part is matching the maps darker spots to areas in and around where you live and how accurate it is i am not sure....

This is pretty accurate to what I can see but it doesn't take into account the insecurity light of a neighbour five doors down aimed right at me and the woman next door's conservatory lit up like the surface of the sun and the street light above me that she gets fixed within a few days every time it get's broken "by kids" on account of her having a relative at the council.

post-21037-133877555152_thumb.jpg

This is pretty close for me. I score a VLM = 4.68 on this site and I record 4.2 - 4.5 on most observing nights based on which stars I can see in Ursa Minor rather than at the zenith.

I pushed the "Print Screen" key on the top right three key group on my keyboard, I then went to "Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint" and pasted it on. I then "Saved As", changing the file type to jpeg.

On the forum I clicked "post reply" and below this text box there's one that says "Manage Attachments". Click it, click "Choose File and find the jpeg where you put it. Type a bit here and click post and by the magic of Bill Gates it's below.

Long winded but it takes a wee jiffy. I did crop the picture so you couldn't see my email address in one of the tabs, though.

click the window the web page is in and hold ALT press Print screen, Hold CTRL and Print screen for a complete screen grab, paste the result into something to save as a JPG and attach to your reply, I use powerpoint to paste and save as

This is a place i intend to visit on my next trip into wales its a tent and chalet site with a massive 7.42 score and a beach just down the road for the wife and kids

I stayed a few miles from there last week and the LP was terrible because of all the little seaside towns. Where you'll be will be wonderfully dark.

5.59 where I am, Bortle 5

It seems though, that those with darker skies are oft cursed with frequent cloud cover in the UK. Plus the trails from the many planes leaving our Isle for sunnier climes murkying up our skies. I suggest a mass repatriation to the Arizona Desert.

Woohoo, star party at Kai's place

The only problem with a Star Party at my place is that after a couple of hours your eyes go all funny and you feel the need to sit down........

Or is that due to the Village Cider/Scrumpy :):D

4.5 ish around here in Stafford. As mentioned by someone else though the main problem is 'local' lighting from curtainless windows next door, a rather random security light in someones back garden, and the 2 street lights that are visible from my back garden. Do they not know I'm trying to do astronomy here ? :)

Archived