SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Good Lady Is Gonna Kill Me...

elbatchman

Oh dear............is that your only hobby ? I have a few and really have to juggle everything around .I ,m lucky my wife is very understanding and dose not mind me being in the the garden for long hours as it means she has full control of the Sky Remote lol

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Lux - but I can't understand that, & it's a horrible thing for her to say.

I think maybe my hubby & me have it sorted well.

Yes a balance, but we can't spend every night outside (the weather just won't allow it) !

I wish you well & hope you sort - but remember it's give & take - on both sides ......

Bad advice, I ordered a goto mount on the quiet. It turned up at home whilst I was at work. Wife went mental, told me to get rid of it, stop the astronomy as it was obsessive and boring for her and get a life. Failing that get a divorce.

Told me none of our friends liked it they just humoured me and she wanted a normal husband.

We have talked things through and I have agreed to spend less time in the garden, and for the time being have kept the goto mount.

She is right, it can become a selfish and expensive hobby if your not careful.

I just have to get the balance right now...

Yowser, Seems like you've got a lot of work there. My Missus and I both have hobbies, I've not much interest in hers and she does have much interest in mine but we always encourage each other.

For a while now I've been thinking about an observatory so I can keep everthing setup as I'm fed up of carting it all out just to see the clouds roll over. I made the suggestion and she was responsive to the idea but we need a location. Why, she suggested dont we get rid of her Kawasaki Z1100 motorcycle so I'll have more space for the observatory.

What a woman! I love her to bits. There's no way I'll let get rid of the bike though.

I've just come back from the astro shop after discussing about trading in my CPC 800 for a CGEM.

Got home and discussed with my wife that I need to change for astrophotography.

She commented that if I am upgading why not go to 9.25"

I went out and did the shopping and bought flowers before she changes her mind.

Cheaper than a divorce. :)

i'm never going to get those telvue 300 quid eye pieces. you must have more money than sense to get 'em.

Thank yourself you are not on cloudy nights. They would have hacked your house address from your IP and loading their shottys already:p :)

though i'm never going to get those telvue 300 quid eye pieces. you must have more money than sense to get 'em.

lol, I see your point, but I think "money" and "sense" are relative in this regard.

In my case, and with my current funding ability (ie. I have the money, but there are more important things to spend it on in the house, for the whole families benefit), it wouldn't be sensible to spend it on TV eyepieces just for me, even though I would love them.

If I won the lottery tonight or got a better paid job then it would be different. :)

I'm trying to buy all the kit I want before I marry her.... It's expensive but there's no way I'd be allowed to buy an 18" Dob once she gets a ring on her finger. :)

She complains when I go off to the dark site, even though it's only 4 or 5 nights a month. Sigh.

lol umadog!

i just popped a ring on my girl friends finger.

trying to get as much kit as i can before we start saving towards the wedding.

juggling this, PC gaming and drumming...

i need a bigger pay cheque.. :icon_eek:

Maybe I should have a hobby transplant.. I've put too much cash into my hobbies, but I'm happy and non-bored because of it!

Kayaking - over ~20 years, about €4000 on gear alone. At least it lasts a long time and only depreciates when worn out or lost.

Mountain biking - about €3500 as I had a bike nicked last year that wasn't covered by insurance.

PCs - I've spent about €2000 over 4 years on computer components and networking equipment.

Cars - excluding the daily driver I've spent €4000 on the purchase and running of a mk2 2 MR2, and I'm currently looking out for a 30+ year old Merc as a classic car

Astronomy - about €1500 in the last year on 2 scopes, and OTA and eyepieces.

I also need a bigger paycheque to stop me being bored! :icon_eek:

My girlfriend of 7 years is very understanding thankfully, and she quite likes solar system stuff but not enough to spend time looking by herself. I do keep her happy though which is most important. I do confer before purchase of anything which really helps to keep the peace.

I'm also tryingto complete the collecting of toys before having to pay for a house etc.

lol i know your pain...

though i'm never going to get those telvue 300 quid eye pieces. you must have more money than sense to get 'em.

Very happy owner of 13mm Ethos... I wish I only paid 300quid! :icon_eek:

I'm the same with everything. Buying a new pc recently the budget just kept going up and up until it was a beast of a machine. It seems the same is now happening with scopes for me. Only had the 10" dob a week and already I'm looking at EQ mounts and Neglar Eyepieces. EEK!

I'm the same with everything. Buying a new pc recently the budget just kept going up and up until it was a beast of a machine. It seems the same is now happening with scopes for me. Only had the 10" dob a week and already I'm looking at EQ mounts and Neglar Eyepieces. EEK!

lol Geo.

building a new Sandy Bridge pc at the moment. i'm trying to stop myself from pre-ordering a vertex 3 SSD :icon_eek:

Archived