740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Is nudging a dob all that bad?

UTMonkey

I enjoy both styles, but I hate handset goto once you have used EQmod the handset operating system is not worth it. especially with any star alignment.

But I have only used Celestron and Skywatcher goto, Celestron been the better imo.

Edited by Earl

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen posts in the past from confirmed Dob addicts, who've said that once they tried a tracking mount, they couldn't go back to nudging.

Since I can stare at a single planet for hours, I find the idea of nudging inconceivable.

Thanks for all your replies, based on your comments AUTO would seem to be something that could be really useful for me, if only for the reason that I would want to show my wife and child what I am looking at. I think it would be difficult to do that without the AUTO.

Having said that though, can the AUTO mechanism be switched off so the telescope can be moved freely? I have seen youtube video's of an flex dob being controlled by a handset and it looks slooow, which could be a pain if jumping round the sky.

Mrs R, what do you think?

Thanks again

Mark

I don't use our Dob on the planets and don't like high magnification nudging all that much, but on a budget would have that over less optical power all the same.

At lower powers in widefield EPs it is a non issue. You can dwell for ages between nudges. There is no advantage to manual tracking other than the matter of cost, but cost is important!

Olly

Having said that though, can the AUTO mechanism be switched off so the telescope can be moved freely? I have seen youtube video's of an flex dob being controlled by a handset and it looks slooow, which could be a pain if jumping round the sky.

Mark

AUTO only I'm afraid Mark.

Hi Mark

If you are under clear skies a 150mm scope will work if you are under light pollution area the a 200mm would be better

As you can see I like Bins and scopes,I have had my scope for over a year and have only used the Goto a few times to make sure it's working because I wanted to find things for myself and to track the things my self I think it's the best way to learn the sky

Doug

Essex

can the AUTO mechanism be switched off so the telescope can be moved freely?

AUTO only I'm afraid Mark.

It depends on the model. It's my understanding that the new GOTO versions have a dual-encoder design and can moved by hand (and without needing re-alignment later :) )

It depends on the model. It's my understanding that the new GOTO versions have a dual-encoder design and can moved by hand (and without needing re-alignment later :) )

Check out this announcement by FLO http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/110212-skywatcher-flextube-goto-dobsonians.html

Looks like the new GOTO's can be slewed by hand.

I am in a similar dilemma I am on the verge of selling my kit to buy a larger dob , it is a toss up between the 16" manual or the 14" goto ( only £5 difference) Goto is something I am trying to avoid as I want to keep things simple and quick to take advantage of the limited time I get to stargaze but Auto may be handy. Shame Skywatcher do not make an auto version of the 14" or 16".

Edited by vlebo

I am in a similar dilemma I am on the verge of selling my kit to buy a larger dob , it is a toss up between the 16" manual or the 14" goto ( only £5 difference) Goto is something I am trying to avoid as I want to keep things simple and quick to take advantage of the limited time I get to stargaze but Auto may be handy. Shame Skywatcher do not make an auto version of the 14" or 16".

I would have no hesitation in going for the 16". I'm not a big fan of nudging but the experience under dark skies through a 16" would be amazing. With such a large dob it would be best suited away from LP and under dark skies so you can find most objects with a telrad and finder anyway. In this case GOTO would not be the better choice over aperture IMO.

If you are looking at large Dobs then IMO go as big as you can manage to afford, set up, transport and store.

From a 12" Personally I would seriously consider saving towards an 18"

With 16" being the minimum upgrade.

14" IMO isn't a big enough jump.

Regards Steve

Thanks Spaceboy and Steve , I am leaning toward the larger aperture ( 16") and just nudge away as I have been and to be honest I have never found it a problem . As far as storage goes I will have a form of shed at the end of my garden where I will be able to wheel it in and out and keep it there permanently. Looks like aperture rules and the thought of a 16" dob that can be up and running in minutes is a wee bit exciting.

So everything exept my eyepieces and Hotech will be up for grabs as soon as I sort out the shed.

Edited by vlebo

As far as storage goes I will have a form of shed at the end of my garden where I will be able to wheel it in and out and keep it there permanently. Looks like aperture rules and the thought of a 16" dob that can be up and running in minutes is a wee bit exciting.

You won't regret it. B):)

Looks like aperture rules and the thought of a 16" dob that can be up and running in minutes is a wee bit exciting.

Wee bit exciting!!!!!! I think I would be unable to sleep at night :)

Interesting thread for me, I have just "dobbed" a 10" SN10 pending the purchase of an EQ6.

I mainly use an old C150HD newt on a peir mounted CG4 which tracks in RA and I am very happy with it. I had an ETX105 (now de-forked and the mount sold) and still have a Celestron C80GT but have never really liked GoTo. I think GoTo takes away the "discovery" factor, if you start off with GoTo I think you miss out on a large part of a learning experience. We are all different and want different things from our "obsession" all the different methods of pointing a scope at the sky make it all the more interesting (and confusing). As for nudging, as with most things in life, there is only one way to find out....... I hope I like it!

Edited by MoonNut
typo

You won't regret it. B):)

Hi Talitha

I am sure I won't but living 15 miles from central London I hope I can get more from it than my 300p . I can only imagine the views you must get with your Lightbridge up there where you are.

Vlebo

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not responded to my own thread for a while, but I have to say this has been very useful - my thanks to everyone for your comments.

The decision I have made is........

Manual all the way!!!

I am saving for a SkyWatcher FlexTube 300P (I want to put the money in the aperture rather than the tracking technology).

I used to do a bit of Clay Shooting so am currently selling some stuff to add to the kitty (Cartridges etc).

I am involved in a seperate project to build a CNC router, I am hoping that by the time I have enough to buy the telescope I wil be able to build a replacement base fitted with a DIY tracking system.

My thanks again.

Mark

Probably been said allready but nudging ain't that bad and it forces you to learn the sky - so it has it's merits.

The auto is a godsend though and I'd thoroughly recommend it. The object should stay caentral in the eye piece for a good half hour. The Skywatcher ones let you nudge as well if needed whilst still maintaining tracking.

Yes - you can upgrade to goto later if desired (I did that very easilly). HTH :)

Edited by brantuk

I brought my first telescope a few weeks ago, SW 250px, and have no problem nudging it after getting the hang of it. I also go a celestron zoom ep and find this really helps. for example saturn using a barlow and zoom ep can be found easily while zoomed out, then zoom it to get the magnification. once out of view, zoom out and saturn is there again. reposition and zoom back in. found this a very easy to use setup