Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Luis Campos

Some deep sky with Altair Astro 8" f/4 newt and canon 350D

If you copy and past the selection into google translate it does a fairly good job (apart from auto detecting that it's German!!?!?!) Unfortunately it too does not like the direct link...

Google Translate

Cracking images, great colours and detail......... I have the Orion version of that scope with the MPCC and am very happy with it.

A question though, you said that you made some modifications to the collimation system, can you explain a little bit about what you have done. Although the collimation is fine on my Orion I would like to improve the adjusters, I was thinking that stronger springs in the primary cell would be good..... You can answer by PM if you think this is not the place for this discussion.....

Cheers,

gary

Stunning pictures Luis! Beautifully processed, some of the best DSLR images I've seen.

Cracking images, great colours and detail......... I have the Orion version of that scope with the MPCC and am very happy with it.

A question though, you said that you made some modifications to the collimation system, can you explain a little bit about what you have done. Although the collimation is fine on my Orion I would like to improve the adjusters, I was thinking that stronger springs in the primary cell would be good..... You can answer by PM if you think this is not the place for this discussion.....

Cheers,

gary

Hi Gary,

Sorry not answering you yesterday...lots of work....

I'll take some pics of the mods for you to see, it's not much, just exchanged the springs on the primary and glued the washer that holds the secondary in place (where the 3 screws touch) to avoid the secondary mirror to rotate, this happened a lot when taking the scope on a car ride to my observing spot...also I've made a cool and very simple dew heater for the secondary, very highly recomended mod!!!!

Cheers,

Stunning pictures Luis! Beautifully processed, some of the best DSLR images I've seen.

Hello Lewis,

Thanks mate, it's words like yours that makes us getting better and better :)

Cheers,

Nice and thorough step-by-step tutorials.

No need for translation either :)

When I have time I'll try to work something out...

Thanks for sharing

Rui

Nice and thorough step-by-step tutorials.

No need for translation either :)

When I have time I'll try to work something out...

Thanks for sharing

Rui

Hey Rui!

Nice to "see you" around here too :grin:

Glad you liked the tut. B)

Thanks,

bye,

Luís Campos

Thanks for getting back to me Luis..... :)

Yes, I would like to see how you modded your scope, I really like my Orion but do think collimation could be a bit easier.

As for the secondary dew heater, yes that would be a major improvement, I currenctly use a dew shield but that sometimes is not enough.

as I said, looking forward to seeing the mods.....

Cheers,

gary

Hi Gary,

Sorry not answering you yesterday...lots of work....

I'll take some pics of the mods for you to see, it's not much, just exchanged the springs on the primary and glued the washer that holds the secondary in place (where the 3 screws touch) to avoid the secondary mirror to rotate, this happened a lot when taking the scope on a car ride to my observing spot...also I've made a cool and very simple dew heater for the secondary, very highly recomended mod!!!!

Cheers,

Thanks for getting back to me Luis..... :)

Yes, I would like to see how you modded your scope, I really like my Orion but do think collimation could be a bit easier.

As for the secondary dew heater, yes that would be a major improvement, I currenctly use a dew shield but that sometimes is not enough.

as I said, looking forward to seeing the mods.....

Cheers,

gary

Hi Gary,

Just today i had the time to take some pics, here goes some about the primary spring that I bought in my local hardware store, the secondary anti dew system, it's just some resistors welded to each other (6 to 8), thin electric wire and a car ligther plug, it's really low on energy comsuption and it works all night long with zero dew problems...something I had a lot in the past B)

Best regards,

post-25681-133877556134_thumb.jpg

post-25681-133877556139_thumb.jpg

post-25681-133877556145_thumb.jpg

post-25681-133877556151_thumb.jpg

Outstanding images.. you certainly have mastered that scope.. :icon_eek:

Great anti dew system also .. :rolleyes:

great images!!! :icon_eek: They are magazine / book quality!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the images, you have done what I planned for the primary with the bigger springs, it looks like it will do what it should now.

The dew heater on the secondary is very good...... Can you tell me what value the resistors are and how many you used. Did you glue them onto the back of the secondary? That is another mod onto the list for my scope.....

Do you ever use the fan? I have never found it necessary!

Thanks again,

Gary

Absolutely stunning images, now you have me posting wanted adverts for a modded Canon DSLR - however, showing my wife your images might get me the permission required but I will still need a lot of learning before I can get remotely close to this quality.

Many thanks for sharing, these are by far the best photos I have seen on a modded DSLR and I have seen quite a few !

Steve

Awesome shots. I love the small tight stars in all of them.