Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jaffa cakes...

Ant

The difference in taste is usually all the mind, brand snobbery and all that meaning that the "origina" brand tends taste better than budget but only if you actually believe that it does.

But working at a major distribution company has opened my eyes to the amount of rebranding of "premium" products for one of the supermarkets' own brands. Many times you are buying from the same big manufacturer but the item is packaged differently and the price has changed. Supermarkets themselves simply don't have the resources to make all the food they sell so they buy in bulk and repackage.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaffa cakes.....horrid things :D

Cheddars though, or cream crackers with strong mature cheddar or boursin with herbs.....now you're talking :)

Used to love dog biscuits when I was a kid!!

I uesd to live near a biscuit factory when i lived in Cwmbran,Burtons biscuits the home of the Wagon Wheel i cant stand the blumming things........kev

Burtons make jaffa cakes too, or they used to about 20 years ago (before they were taken over by an American firm). I worked in the engineering dept there when on work placement from school.

They were making blackcurrant and lemon & lime too if I remember correctly as a new trial for flavours, don't think they ever took off as can't say I've seen them round here since.

So I've tasted 3 flavours of "original" jaffa cake!! and I liked all 3 flavours, although I was a kid and kids like anything with sugar in....

my fave top 5 biscuits

no1 Viscount orange

no2Viscount mint

no3 Jaffa

no4 Custard Cream

NO5 McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives

WHATS YOUR TOP 5

In no particular order....

Cakes of Jaff

Custard Creams

McVities Plain/Dark choc Digestives

HobNobs - std type. choc ones are gross.

Jacob's Club - haven't seen these in years. Do they still exist?

Andy.

The difference in taste is usually all the mind, brand snobbery and all that meaning that the "origina" brand tends taste better than budget but only if you actually believe that it does.

Beg to differ. Work for a food manufacturer that makes retailer brand products. They are not the same at all - the retailer's price point simply does not allow the manufacturer to use the same ingedients.

But we digress......

@Rob - Wasn't liking Jaffa's a prerequisite of being a Mod.....??? :D:)

Jaffa cakes - legendary! Truly impossible to stop once that first slimy tangy disc touches your tongue... My top 5 "can't stops":

1. Jaffa cakes

2. salted pistachios

3. After Eight

4. Fruit Pastilles

5. Pringles

... blumming bribes!

We had a public open night at our observatory last week and somebody turned up with some Mr Kipling Angel Cakes.

I don't think I've ever been so happy. :D

This could only have been beaten by a few tubs of warm curry and some beers..

Pound shop in Halesowen have a pack of 3 for £1 no doubt. I personally think they are better than the originals as they have more orange filling :) Got to get the right ones as there are some terrible cheap ones out there.

:DMY BAD! The wife has just informed me it was Lidl in Halesowen and it was a 3 pack for 79p. Either way if you get chance give them a try :)

Jaffa seems to be somehow linked to all geeky hobbies. I know 'the mighty Jaffaar' is pretty much the standard currency unit in amateur rocketry too.

My friend came up with a fairly well thought out thesis a few years back on the idea that Jaffa Cakes are in fact a quantum snack that has only two states and can transition between those states instantaneously. The two states are of course a sealed box and an empty box.

Ben

Archived