1912116577_Solarchallenge2022banner.jpg.913a200cf105ddeae9f37765cb1d0c73.jpg

Open university

I Should be receiving my "the universe through a small telescope" course work this week or start of next week I think :) heres hoping the skies are going to be clearing up a bit as my scope has been sitting dormant for the last 2+ weeks with the rainy/cloudy weather we've been having. :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lee and Adam,

I did SXR103 in Edinburgh a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Its a busy week, not at all like a holiday but the fun, learning, mingling with others in the same boat- being a full time student for a week- I loved all the resi's I've done. If I could go back and do them again I would!

You'll love it- I'm sure.

Best wishes,

Vicky

Yeah it sucks muchly :)

I'm keen to find out what will be in the replacement - Practical science: physics and astronomy (SXP288) planned for February 2012. Not as glamorous as the Balearics, but at least it's astronomy focussed.

Hi Lee and Adam,

I did SXR103 in Edinburgh a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Its a busy week, not at all like a holiday but the fun, learning, mingling with others in the same boat- being a full time student for a week- I loved all the resi's I've done. If I could go back and do them again I would!

You'll love it- I'm sure.

Best wishes,

Vicky

Thanks for the encouragement Vicky. From the mood of the course forum, I think most are quite apprehensive about doing their first res (me included).

They must have stopped the Edinburgh presentation, there is a load coming all the way down to the south coast from Scotland.

Edited by palebluedot

Before I thought I could manage a resi I was quite glad I was exempt (it was part of s103 then). But a few years later my circumstances were easier and I thought it might be a change form the daily grind.

It was quite a revelation. I suppose beforehand I worried I wouldn't know what to do and I felt a bit shy about meeting new people but it's so well planned that I didn't have any need to worry about either of those things.

I've done 4 now and wish there were more left to get to. Maybe I'm being greedy? :)

When I went to Bath for a maths ed one I 'met' two others on Facebook before I went which worked out well- went on the same train as one of them but it worked out just as well when I went not knowing anyone. I'm still in touch with someone from each resi- it's quite intense and you get to know people pretty well.

The thing I think that makes it a unique experience is that you can put the rest of your life on hold for a week, step off the roundabout and be yourself with no pressure to put work, family etc first. Meals made and just hanging out with others who enjoy science.

If there's anything in particular you feel apprehensive about feel free to ask- hope this helps Lee!

Best wishes

Vicky

One of the third level astro courses uses one of the Mallorca telescopes 'pirate'. Students on the course drive it remotely from the comfort of their own homes. Maybe S288 will have something like this? Not the same but something that sounds like it would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just been to the Mallorca residential! It was absolutely amazing. Clear skies every night and even came back with a tan!

OU residentials are great fun! SXR208 was my third and supposedly my last one.

If you have the opportunity to go to the residential in Mallorca, don't hesitate!

Just been to the Mallorca residential! It was absolutely amazing. Clear skies every night and even came back with a tan!

If you have the opportunity to go to the residential in Mallorca, don't hesitate!

I'm jealous :D

Just - as in back in April?

I went in March!

@JulianO: Yep, April....just as in 'I'm still excited about it'.

You went in March? did you have cleak skies?

We had about 2-3 nights clear, and one night pouring rain!

Days were lovely though.

• 1 month later...

Are many of you studying towards a degree or just doing random astro courses?

I'm due to begin a degree with 'science starts here' this year. I had my heart set on the astronomy and planetary science route but the physics route with the 'quantum world' unit is looking more and more tempting.

I sent them an email with a concern that I had. A lot of the suggested units on the Astronomy route are due to finish soon. I asked how I was supposed to follow their suggested route if the courses aren't going to exist by the time I'm ready to do them, but their reply just avoided my question.

The residential in Mallorca sounds really good. I'd love to do that but I'm worried that if I start doing the astro courses I'll have to take on too much work to get them finished before they stop being available. Has anyone else had trouble with anything like this?

Are many of you studying towards a degree or just doing random astro courses?

I'm due to begin a degree with 'science starts here' this year. I had my heart set on the astronomy and planetary science route but the physics route with the 'quantum world' unit is looking more and more tempting.

I sent them an email with a concern that I had. A lot of the suggested units on the Astronomy route are due to finish soon. I asked how I was supposed to follow their suggested route if the courses aren't going to exist by the time I'm ready to do them, but their reply just avoided my question.

The residential in Mallorca sounds really good. I'd love to do that but I'm worried that if I start doing the astro courses I'll have to take on too much work to get them finished before they stop being available. Has anyone else had trouble with anything like this?

I'm starting S104 in October, and I'm chasing a Physics/Astro degree.

Doing 60points at most at a time, you can fit the astro stuff in.

Oct 11 S104

Oct 12 S155, MST121

Feb 13 S282

Oct 13 S207

Oct 14 MST209

Oct 15 S383

Feb 16 S382

That just leaves SXP288 (runs till 2021) SXP390s replacement, and one more lvl3 module.

MST121 won't actually count towards the degree, but it's a refresher if you need it.

I have chosen to leave out S283 (Planetary Science & Search For Life) as it's too much biology/geology/vulcanism BUT if you want to do it, you can chase S282 with it and leave out S207

Looks like a good route, I've been looking at mixing it up a bit more between the astro and physics stuff but I can't seem to balance it out without going over too much on the points.

Have you missed something out of your list? You'd need SXP390 or an equivalent at level 3 too, I think.

You seem to have researched your route, so do you think S151 is unnecessary if I'm doing MST121? I used to be really good at maths but that was only GCSE and it's been a long time so I'm a bit worried about biting off more than I can chew.

Looks like a good route, I've been looking at mixing it up a bit more between the astro and physics stuff but I can't seem to balance it out without going over too much on the points.

Have you missed something out of your list? You'd need SXP390 or an equivalent at level 3 too, I think.

You seem to have researched your route, so do you think S151 is unnecessary if I'm doing MST121? I used to be really good at maths but that was only GCSE and it's been a long time so I'm a bit worried about biting off more than I can chew.

If i remember correctly Somewhere on the OU site is an 'are you ready for s104' questionnaire which tests your maths etc and let's you know if it's recommended for your level or not. Unfortunately I wasn't ready so I am doing 'science starts here' which gets you up to scratch to the required level.

Richard

SXP390 finishes in 2015 I think, I did make reference to it though : see below

That just leaves SXP288 (runs till 2021) SXP390s replacement, and one more lvl3 module.

I'm not sure about the maths side of things for you. I did two mathematics A-Levels (out of 4 in total,) so for me MST121 is a refresher course. There's a bit of info here that might help you decide. The description though says good pass at GCSE should suffice?

Edited by Stephen