Narrowband

Open university

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been an OU student for about 10 years- it took me 8 to get my degree (but as with most other OUers a hectic life alongside meant I was in no hurry). I'm currently doing two astro courses and recently spent a week in Mallorca at the observatory (sadly this course finishes this year due to the funding cuts). Its true that you need to have a certain amount of personal motivation but there's lots of others going through the same experience who you can get in touch with through forums. For most of the courses there are face to face tutorials- great for chatting to other students and picking up tips for the up and coming assignments (sadly not the science short courses).

The University of Central Lancashire also does distance learning in astronomy- and with them you can do a whole astronomy degree distance learning, whereas with the OU it would need to be combined with something else. I personally prefer the varied route (my OU degree is science/chem and maths education).

The other thing to consider is that employers seem to value OU degrees since usually students are fitting it around something else and it shows organisational and motivational skills.

Best of all though its fun- 20+ courses and I'm still excited when the study books brown box arrives. Maybe thats just me! :D

I transferred the equivalent of 120 level one points from Australia, where I had a degree in journalism mostly finished. I couldn't finish it after moving over here.

Since then, I've done a couple of 30 point Java programming courses and the 60 point Cisco Certified Network Associate course which got my 120 level 2 points.

I did a 30 point level one course which I was totally uninterested in, to get my head back into study mode.

The last course I did was M366, Natural and Artificial Intelligence. I got an average of 96% for the coursework, but inexplicably failed the final exam, so I'm resitting it, on Tuesday, as it happens.

Still trying to decide on which course to do next - I have a feeling my maths is what let me down in the exam, so I am thinking of one or two of the maths courses.

I'll happily study for the rest of my life, but I really should complete that degree.

How bout you, Vicky?

Alan

Got back from my hols to my S194 course materials. Very exciting!

Fantastic! I haven't heard from them yet through the post but I've been given a name and password for the website and a personal profile page so am I right in assuming its a green light for me too? (unfortunately its for the science starts here course but gotta start somewhere)

Got back from my hols to my S194 course materials. Very exciting!

I am doing S194 now, I changed from S197. I got the course materials last week. I always get excited when the materials get here, and dive straight in.

S197 is ‘How the Universe works’, but this time round was the last for this course so you may not find it as I think the registration date has passed.

Although this was the last time that S197 was available, after talking to the OU support, it was made clear that the topics and aspects of S197 would be covered later in Level 2 course S282, so I made the decision to change to S194.

S197 is ‘How the Universe works’, but this time round was the last for this course so you may not find it as I think the registration date has passed.

Although this was the last time that S197 was available, after talking to the OU support, it was made clear that the topics and aspects of S197 would be covered later in Level 2 course S282, so I made the decision to change to S194.

Thanks. Yes I remember reading that now that you mention it.

Interesting...I've just noticed that S197, Exploring the Universe, cannot be combined with S104, Exploring Science towards a qualification. Good job I noticed as, having recieved my S194 materials, I thought I would be able to do S197 at the same time and very nearly signed up to it. However as I'm doing S104 in October, S197 would have been useless.

Interesting...I've just noticed that S197, Exploring the Universe, cannot be combined with S104, Exploring Science towards a qualification. Good job I noticed as, having recieved my S194 materials, I thought I would be able to do S197 at the same time and very nearly signed up to it. However as I'm doing S104 in October, S197 would have been useless.

Well spotted. I can't remember the details but one larger course I noticed had a considerable discount on the price if you had already done a certain different smaller course because the larger course had the smaller course contained within it. Best be careful we don't pay for a particular course that's actually already contained within another that we intend on doing or have already done.

I hope that makes sense as I don't have time to check the details right now and I may or may not have had a beer or two :D

Made perfect sense. I haven't spotted any discounts but that doesn't mean they're not there. will keep an eye out for them now though!

I'm glad lol. Here's a quote from the OU. Its the only discount I've seen...

If you successfully complete S197 and go on to study Exploring science (S104), you will get a discount of £30 off your registration …

If you successfully complete S197 and go on to study Exploring science (S104), you will get a discount of £30 off your registration …

Well found after a few beers! I think i'll save my £155 and see what new courses they introduce for the extra 10 credits I need to go with my planned units.

Well found after a few beers! I think i'll save my £155 and see what new courses they introduce for the extra 10 credits I need to go with my planned units.

Strange coincidence that it just happened to be the same two courses you mentioned above!

I transferred the equivalent of 120 level one points from Australia, where I had a degree in journalism mostly finished. I couldn't finish it after moving over here.

Since then, I've done a couple of 30 point Java programming courses and the 60 point Cisco Certified Network Associate course which got my 120 level 2 points.

I did a 30 point level one course which I was totally uninterested in, to get my head back into study mode.

The last course I did was M366, Natural and Artificial Intelligence. I got an average of 96% for the coursework, but inexplicably failed the final exam, so I'm resitting it, on Tuesday, as it happens.

Still trying to decide on which course to do next - I have a feeling my maths is what let me down in the exam, so I am thinking of one or two of the maths courses.

I'll happily study for the rest of my life, but I really should complete that degree.

How bout you, Vicky?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've done a mixture of chemistry, biology, some maths education and maths. I love studying- I get a lot out of it <even if sometimes like now when I have two assignments imminent and the pressure is on>.

I'd highly recommend their two 2nd level astronomy/planetary science courses but besides that I've enjoyed the third level senses course (SD329)- I hadn't done any biology when I did that and still managed it ok.

S205, 60 points of chemistry at 2nd level is wonderful but quite heavy going- lots of lightbulb moments for me in that course- hence I want to teach it when my circumstances allow.

I did MST121, the basic maths course but didn't enjoy it very much- maybe it would be more your cup of tea.

I could bore you with more, I've done about 20 courses- but I won't go on ;)

The other thing to consider is that there are lots of free taster materials/chapters on OpenLearn- well worth a visit if you want to have a try at something before commiting.

M366 sounds hardcore! The higher level maths isn't my thing at all- but I'm sure it was interesting, certainly sounds it.

Good to hear from a fellow life-long-learner.

Best wishes,

Vicky

If you wanted to go for one of their 'named' science degrees then you would have to do S104- they don't count 6 ten point short courses as an alternative, which is a shame, but worth noting before you start. I know a couple of people on my course who feel frustrated they have to do S104 even though they have done 60 1st level science points and 2nd level courses. So, just a mention really.

As it happens my degree is an Open degree because basically I didn't want to do a project course to top up to a named degree when I already had enough credit to claim a good degree. And for teaching the name isn't of consequence.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Keep seeing adverts for the OU everywhere now. Has it always been like this or have I only just started noticing. They even sponsor DAVE the tv channel??

I miss the dweebs in orange nylon shirts and green polka dot ties that used to haunt late night BBC2 :)

Archived