SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open university

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Richard

I too am just embarking on an Open University journey.

My aim was to start with S104 Exploring Science (60 credits) but as that doesn't start until October I'm filling the time by doing S194 Introducing Astronomy which is only 10 credits and should hopefully give me an idea of whether i'm capable of the study discipline before forking out £700 for the bigger module.

Out of interest do you have a particular aim for doing the course? I'm doing it because I want to have a complete career change and become a physics teacher however I currently have a Business degree and no science A-levels so it's going to take me a bit of time to get up to speed!

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Sian

Hi, to be honest it's out of passion for my interest in the subject but I would also very much like it if I were able to start a new career too, I'm just not sure what career paths are achievable as I haven't looked into it yet.

I would also like to be doing the 'exploring science' course this year but it's recommended on the website that you take 'science starts here' if your maths and science skills are rusty which mine are so I will have to wait until January unfortunately. Science was my best subject but I never took it further than GCSE. I can only wish I had this passion 15 years ago when I left school :)

Science was my best subject but I never took it further than GCSE. I can only wish I had this passion 15 years ago when I left school B)

I'm in exactly the same boat but fortunately did do maths a-level. Nearly took physics and changed my mind and went for French.:)

I did the "Are you ready for 104?" test and got green lights on the maths and science (but not for English!) so decided to go for it but have bought some books to revise what I should remember from school!

I'm in exactly the same boat but fortunately did do maths a-level. Nearly took physics and changed my mind and went for French.:)

I did the "Are you ready for 104?" test and got green lights on the maths and science (but not for English!) so decided to go for it but have bought some books to revise what I should remember from school!

Lol I didn't get past the maths part although I will try it again and see how I get on with the rest. January is a long wait so would be nice if I can get on this years course.

Lol I didn't get past the maths part although I will try it again and see how I get on with the rest. January is a long wait so would be nice if I can get on this years course.

I was worried about my maths before I started S104. I got these by the OU and found them very good, they are pretty ancient, but maths doesn't change that much B) Some of the examples are hillarious as they are so old :)

Countdown to Mathematics: v. 1: Amazon.co.uk: D. Sargent, L. Graham: Books

Countdown to Mathematics: v. 2: Amazon.co.uk: L. Graham, D. Sargent: Books

[Edit] I got mine used for less than a tenner each.

I was worried about my maths before I started S104. I got these by the OU and found them very good, they are pretty ancient, but maths doesn't change that much B) Some of the examples are hillarious as they are so old :)

Ahh thanks, I'll see how I get on with the science and English parts (should be ok fingers crossed) and then I'll take a look at these.

Looks like I'll be needing them lol

Does the OU not provide study books like these?

I am loving the free study stuff - its great, thanks x

There is also Ad astra's learning on here if you are interested. He has a lot of helpful work you can progress through, I like it.

There is also Ad astra's learning on here if you are interested. He has a lot of helpful work you can progress through, I like it.

oooooo do you have a link to it?

Have decided to go the whole hog and study for a degree again - just need to go through it all and see exactly what modules to do, etc.

Fantastic, I'm doing the natural science degree eventually there are lots of interesting modules to choose from. Do you already have a degree?

Have decided to go the whole hog and study for a degree again - just need to go through it all and see exactly what modules to do, etc.

Excellent! Judging by the people here at SGL, the Open Uiniversity is a tremendous resource.

Fantastic, I'm doing the natural science degree eventually there are lots of interesting modules to choose from. Do you already have a degree?

Yes in Pathology

Hi,

I managed to squeeze the following into my Geosciences degree - good times!!! ;-)

S196 (Planets) & S194 (Astronomy) - both very basic short courses.

S286 (Planetary Science & the search for life - all textbook based astrobiology/ astrophysics) goes hand in hand with....

SXR208 (Observing the Universe Residential course based in Observatory Mallorca - it's basically Astrophysics, spectroscopy that sort of thing...excellent, the best course I have ever done! but this year is the last year they're doing it I believe). Some of it was heavy going at times, like doing maths at 4am in the morning after a long nights observing, but well worth every moment.

All in all, it's taken me just over 4yrs, whilst working full-time to get my degree.

All the best

Claire

Just finalising my EMA for Introducing Astronomy. I enjoyed it so much that I registered for S197 How the Universe Works over the weekend. Looking at the material on OpenLearn, I suspect it's going to be interesting :icon_eek:

Hi,

I managed to squeeze the following into my Geosciences degree - good times!!! ;-)

S196 (Planets) & S194 (Astronomy) - both very basic short courses.

S286 (Planetary Science & the search for life - all textbook based astrobiology/ astrophysics) goes hand in hand with....

SXR208 (Observing the Universe Residential course based in Observatory Mallorca - it's basically Astrophysics, spectroscopy that sort of thing...excellent, the best course I have ever done! but this year is the last year they're doing it I believe). Some of it was heavy going at times, like doing maths at 4am in the morning after a long nights observing, but well worth every moment.

All in all, it's taken me just over 4yrs, whilst working full-time to get my degree.

All the best

Claire

Excellent. How long ago was this? I expect it will take me a little longer than 4 years but I'm sure it will be worth it :icon_eek:

Archived