SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open university

I was worried about my maths before I started S104. I got these by the OU and found them very good, they are pretty ancient, but maths doesn't change that much :rolleyes: Some of the examples are hillarious as they are so old :icon_eek:

Countdown to Mathematics: v. 1: Amazon.co.uk: D. Sargent, L. Graham: Books

Countdown to Mathematics: v. 2: Amazon.co.uk: L. Graham, D. Sargent: Books

[Edit] I got mine used for less than a tenner each.

Hi again. Do these books by any chance have exercises for you to practice or are they just reference?

Thanks

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi again. Do these books by any chance have exercises for you to practice or are they just reference?

Thanks

They are written in the style of the OU course material. Read a bit, follow some examples then try some. With tests at the end of each section.

They start right at the very beginning.

They are written in the style of the OU course material. Read a bit, follow some examples then try some. With tests at the end of each section.

They start right at the very beginning.

Thank you. Sounds ideal. I wonder if there are similar science books...

Thank you. Sounds ideal. I wonder if there are similar science books...

I have got Teach Yourself Physics which is good. Short paragraph and a couple of questions to illustrate it then an end of chapter test. Was £8 on Amazon. They also do a Chemistry one.

I have got Teach Yourself Physics which is good. Short paragraph and a couple of questions to illustrate it then an end of chapter test. Was £8 on Amazon. They also do a Chemistry one.

Thank you

Should help me pass the time.

All going well I might be able to get on this years course

Richard

This thread is awesome! I've been looking at the Open University and John Moores (and affilliate) courses over the last 2 months and was wondering if any peeps on here had embarked on any of the courses. I was reading through a few of the astronomy based courses and decided to give Liverpool John Moores : 'The Universe through a Small Telescope' a go. I went for this one because its a lot of observation projects using my telescope and will hopefully make me learn more about what im observing. I wanted some direction when i was out with the 'scope. :rolleyes:

Its only a short 4 month module and Im hoping it will be a good toe in the water to see if i like doing the courses and if i do start collecting credits towards a HE or Degree. :D

Its inspiring seeing how many people are giving it a crack :icon_eek:

Paul''

It's been one of those weeks... Left it too late to start a TMA, found that it was harder than expected and ended up getting into work at 7am so that I can leave at 4:30pm to get home, drop my bags, stuff my face and study till 11pm. 3 days of that hurts!

Tip for all those budding OU'ers. Keep with the schedule!

Thank you

Should help me pass the time.

All going well I might be able to get on this years course

Richard

I'm finding it to be very good. I lay have done well at GCSE Physics but you forget a lot in 15 yrs!

Would be good to have someone else starting the course in Oct to trade notes with!

Good luck Rich!

I'm finding it to be very good. I lay have done well at GCSE Physics but you forget a lot in 15 yrs!

Would be good to have someone else starting the course in Oct to trade notes with!

Good luck Rich!

Good luck yourself

I hope I'll be joining you on the course

Just doing this one at the moment, best of the three i've done so far. First one about the planets was drier than sawdust. S194 was tonnes better.

Hopefully if i can get my TMA in at the end of April i'm just the maths course to go before I get my certificate in introductory astronomy :) Fingers crossed I get them done before end of the year otherwise my Life in the Universe course with Manchester Uni becomes invalid.

Good luck to all

Alan

I have just registered for my 3rd OU course today. I am doing S197 How the Universe Works. Looking forward to this one.

Thinking ahead here, since i'm not really keen with paying tuition fees that i could buy a house with and the OU is a lot cheaper... what would you say about doing a degree with the OU, but 'sneaking' into lectures at a local uni on the side?

Thinking ahead here, since i'm not really keen with paying tuition fees that i could buy a house with and the OU is a lot cheaper... what would you say about doing a degree with the OU, but 'sneaking' into lectures at a local uni on the side?

I think there are alot of lectures you can watch online. I have a few bookmarked but not yet tried.

Great stuff everyone, reading the posts here has made me determined to try another OU course having passed S194 a couple of years ago, purely for self interest, am thinking of trying S197, I have to say I find Cosmology an incredidible part of science so am keen to learn some more :)

I am led to believe that these course's will ceace at the end of this year so it may have to be something else unless I can get on one soon.

Will be finding out Tuesday

Nearly finished the penultimate book for S104, Quarks to Quasars, concentrating on quantum physics and cosmology, and it is great, I have been looking forward to this bit since I started. :) I was sure I wanted to do Astronomy and Planetary Science before, now I am absolutely positive. I have just signed up for S282 Astronomy starting Feb. By then I would have done SXR103 Practical Science residential at Sussex Uni in the summer and would be half way through MST121 Using Mathematics.

7 years seems like a long time to do anything, but I can already see that this degree is going to fly by.

I did nothing at school and came out with no qualifications being hampered by dyslexia. The age of computers changed all that, being able to change text and background colours has made reading and writing a breeze.

So since my late twenties I have had a ravenous appetite for learning and the OU has answered my call. It has been a long hard struggle but only two more years and I can see a degree at the end of it.

Don't forget, financial assistance is available for most undergraduate degrees - don't dismiss the idea of study on financial grounds alone.

Alan

Good point. Applying for financial help with the OU is easy. They send the forms out with the application.

Archived