SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece Selection Help

Dellis

I'm in the process of upgrading my eyepieces from my current Celestron 1.25" eyepiece and filter kit. I'm looking for a wider field of view, a little more eye relief, a larger diameter objective lens and a quality view. I have a budget of around £650 and I'm leaning towards a set of Celestron Ultima LX's but just wanted a sense check before I took the plunge. My scope is a C8 SCT and I enjoy observing both deep sky and planetary so want my selection to enable this. I was planning on a full set of the Ultimas from 8mm to 32mm. What do you think?

Thanks

Dave

I have no experience with the Ultima's but have recently one by one upgraded all my ep's to Baader Hyperion's. Like you i was looking for something with a wider fov and more eye relief. The Hyperion has a 68 degree fov and lots of eye relief along with a nice big chunk of glass to look through. I would not hesitate to recommend them. FLO has the complete set for £657 (8ep's) which is a good deal when you consider they are £94 to buy individually. Hopefully someone with experience with the Ultima's will chime in here and offer you their opinion on them.

I have no experience with the Ultima's but have recently one by one upgraded all my ep's to Baader Hyperion's. Like you i was looking for something with a wider fov and more eye relief. The Hyperion has a 68 degree fov and lots of eye relief along with a nice big chunk of glass to look through. I would not hesitate to recommend them. FLO has the complete set for £657 (8ep's) which is a good deal when you consider they are £94 to buy individually. Hopefully someone with experience with the Ultima's will chime in here and offer you their opinion on them.

By coincidence and after a bit of digging around I spoke with Steve at FLO who was extremely helpful and I have ordered several Baader Hyperions (8mm, 13mm 17mm, 21mm) and a 32 mm Skywatcher PanaView. Roll on some clear skies :D

Dave

i have been looking at the ultima LX series myself, after a few conversations with others both here and over seas, they come out highly regarded, enough so that i will be going for them myself :D

when i get them i will post a review

By coincidence and after a bit of digging around I spoke with Steve at FLO who was extremely helpful and I have ordered several Baader Hyperions (8mm, 13mm 17mm, 21mm) and a 32 mm Skywatcher PanaView. Roll on some clear skies :)

Dave

All have now been delivered. They certainly look and feel very nice, just need some clear skies for a proper test run.

Dave

Archived