What could I do?

Manok101

Hi

Instead of doing the full degree what about taking a certificate in astronomy from an on-line college / uni? Also, the various books on the market can take your knowledge further. You can attend astronomy / science exhibitions and festivals. Finally, you can join or start an astronomy club in your area. These places are great for making contacts and picking all sorts of useful advice without the full commitment of an academic course.

Regarding limited $$$, buying second hand kit from reputable sources is always a good start. Online outlets have bargains, either end-of-line equipment or ex-display models that have been returned to the manufactueres / suppliers. Again, if you take the club route you will find other astronomers offloading kit as they upgrade. I found a Celestron 80mm WA refractor for £50 when I joined my local club and I'm still using it as a grab'n'go scope five years later.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean by take it to another level?

Astronomy has many aspects hence the question. Many, most, will be theoretical. Things such a galaxy formation is simply on a timescale that in our individual lifetimes we will never see a difference.

There are distance learning options from John Moore Liverpool University that are in small chunks and that cover various aspects of astronomy. You could simply do one at a time in areas that interested you. Not sure of the cost for Non-EU people however.

Wasn't someone on SGL posting about a course they did. I have however no idea of it contents nor applicability.

Must be some free options around, again it may depend on the depth they go to.

Look up astroleague.org, they do certificates in different areas but these are for observing different astronomical aspects. I would say that each certificate has accompanying background information. Try also RASC, they have observing certificates and agin I would hope some additional information.

Search results - OpenLearn - The Open University

OU have a list of 4.

All free and you simply download and do at your own speed, although they do have recommendations for a time simply because that it how they work.

Thought that I saw 5 in the OU list at some time but from a different search. The "missing" one may have been a bit more general. May try to relocate it.

MIT had one as well, lost it now.

Did a search for "free astronomy courses"

If the above hiccups, it has the search string in and may dislike it then go to:

All Units - OpenLearn - The Open University

And enter astronomy in the search box yourself.

No idea how good or bad they are, but free and maybe useful.

This lists the 5 at OU, not sure why the OU offering shows just 4, also the MIT one is in this. The "5" in the link is not the 5OU ones, just 5 extablishments offering stuff.

5 Sources for Free Astronomy Education Online

I think maybe a bit more explanation is needed I was wondering other than observation what could I do with a limited budget? Both of my telescopes are Dobs and from my understanding not good for imaging.

What size Dobs are they and would you sell both to pay for an EQ mounted scope?

Are you a member of the SPA they have a DSO Section where you will learn much more about Nebulae?

Also, with a little searching there is plenty out there on the internet for learning for free.

Join a local society. Great for star parties and observing and seeing what other people have. Then you get an informed choice instead of rushing headlong into buying gear and finding it does not suit you.

Messier list March is the best time of year for a Messier Marathon. Quite a lot are nebulae m42 etc which you know already and star clusters. Ive done a lot with 100mm bins such as Galaxies m31 m32 m33 m81 82 etc.

John.

Messier list March is the best time of year for a Messier Marathon. Quite a lot are nebulae m42 etc which you know already and star clusters. Ive done a lot with 100mm bins such as Galaxies m31 m32 m33 m81 82 etc.

John.

Good work John :), did you do the Messier Marathon over one night ?

No Ive not done it I think its a real challenge dusk to dawn stuff.

Ive just noticed the DeepSky Section March 2nd has a post about an attempt, I wonder how they did. There is a good guide there too.

It might encourage me to have a go but the weather is pants lately.

John.

Archived