SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment software

jasperuk

I Have tried it but now use PolarFinder for Android on my phone.

Once your PS is set correctly you don't really need it TBH, as you just set date/time of observing and line up

HTH

hi,

i'm new to astronomy but i've found by getting my exact latitude from google earth and using the scale on my mount and using a compass to find north every time i set up is good, i use my patio alot and i've marked where the tripod legs sit so as long as they sit on that spot the mount is also level and north. sounds a bit long winded but only takes a few minutes and once done doesn't need repeating again. checking through the hole where the polar scope should be you can still see polaris.cheers,

Adamski

hi,

i'm new to astronomy but i've found by getting my exact latitude from google earth and using the scale on my mount and using a compass to find north every time i set up is good, i use my patio alot and i've marked where the tripod legs sit so as long as they sit on that spot the mount is also level and north. sounds a bit long winded but only takes a few minutes and once done doesn't need repeating again. checking through the hole where the polar scope should be you can still see polaris.cheers,

Adamski

I agree i started like that but quickly found that astrophotography needed just that little bit extra accuracy, my current problem seem to be i dont have anything small enough to adjust the screws on the polar alignment scope which is slightly out :D

Anyone using the following and can tell me if its any good :D

Free Polar Alignment Software Download Polar FinderScope by Dr. Dale Jason Version 2.04

Yes great little app. I always used this to align on my CG5, It is of course only as good as you can copy it. A certain amount of guess work is involved.

However it is certainly good enough for observing, and I used it to do astrophotography, which was good enough for around 60s on my setup.

Now though I have a HEQ5 and EQMOD which has a built in programme that sets the RA axis for you, which is very accurate.

But as the others mentioned using the setting circles is as good as it gets too.

Michael

Archived