Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

quantum64

Fine tuning how I image Saturn

I have not had much time to post lately, but I've been trying some new methods of imaging Saturn. The webcam at prime focus isn't giving me great results, primarily due to the bad webcam I am using. The results were OK though.

I decided to try a new setup using a barlow and a 10mm eyepiece on my 8" reflector (1000mm focal length). Then I used my Canon PowerShot digital camera (not DSLR) to record video at the highest res. I also zoomed in as far as I could without using digital zoom. I recorded 1 minute video segments and stacked each of them (with Registax) with the following results. Things came out much more clear then my webcam.

I think I even see the Cassini division? :D

mvi_2607.jpg

There are more new/updated photos on the site. I reprocessed some of my Jupiter videos with Registax, now that I'm learning to use it better.

Kyle,

So were you just holding the camera against the eyepiece? If so, I'm definitely impressed with the result. Would agree that you have got bits of the Cassini division there. Your experimentation has paid off.

Ya, I'm just holding the camera up to the eyepiece. It isn't easy and there tends to be a lot of shacking since I can't mount the camera there. After taking a bunch of videos, I go through and pick out the best of the bunch for processing. Thanks!

Yup thats the division alright !

That's an impressive image for holding the camera.

Hi Kyle' that must have been had to do.But it paid off with you that's a great capture.Mark