SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn and our moon

anthony

Apologies if this has appeared elsewhere, but on Friday night from about 9pm or so, the moon and saturn are quite close together. Starry night seems to show closest approach 'bout 10 - 10:30pm.

Thought this would be interesting, especially for those who are getting their first views of Saturn.

Anthony

I'm still not really up to getting the scope out, but last night at about midnight, I went out on my front porch for a look, and saw that, yea verily, the moon and saturn were very close together. I considered going back in for my monocular, but there was a bit of a wind blowing, and it was -14, and I was wearing a golf shirt and jeans. I decided that, OK, I've seen it, might as well go in where it's warm. I checked the temperature later, I just knew it was painfully cold at that moment. It's not going to warm up much for the next week or so. It's -10 today, but feels warmer.

It's -10 today, but feels warmer.

Warmer than WHAT??? :shock:

Well, it felt more like -3 or -4. It was -16 this afternoon, and with the wind it felt like -27, according to the weather report. I can vouch for that, and for once I was adequately dressed. I'm hoping we'll have a couple of days in the -20s; they're great for bragging to your friends in Florida, where they put sweaters and ski jackets on at 10 degrees.

Archived