Narrowband

Olympus PEN for Astroimaging?

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this and looking to get a telescope setup. I would like to do some basic imaging with my Olympus PEN E-PL1 if that was possible? I have looked and there does appear to be some adapters for micro 4/3 but I have read that they leave the sensor exposed to the air & vulnerable.

My question is should I bother looking for a tracking telescope to work with my PEN or should i forget about imaging for the moment and by a dobsonian with a big aperture?

Welcome to SGL.

I personally would learn the skies with a nice dob, then when you are ready try your hand at AP.

To do it correctly and get really good results costs money and ideally an Olympus Pen isn't really the camera of choice.

Thanks for the help Doc, I suspected that but I thought I would get some expert opinions.

I have been looking at this telescope

Sky Watcher Synta 2541200 Ota Newton For Sale in Tallaght, Dublin: Buy and Sell Used Photography, Second Hand Telescopes & Binoculars on Adverts.ie

Could I buy it and make my own Dobson Mount?

many thanks

That's a 10" f5 unit, so it would give some nice wide views, and fast enough for imaging. You could knock up a Dob mount as an interim measure, but look to find a second hand HEQ5 Pro when you step into the imaging arena. As Doc. said though, imaging in a serious way will eat a lot of your money.

Ron.

I would recommend enjoying the sky first.

I fell into the trap of felling I should be trying to photograph everything and it frustrated me when things didn't work causing me to not enjoy astronomy nights.

I have now gone back to the reason I have a telescope (none motorised Dob FYI) I spend my nights finding, viewing and now sketching the wonders of the sky. I have taken a few photos of the moon using a reletively cheap camera, with great results (my profile picture was taken using a compact camera)

At the end of the day remember to enjoy what you do.

Thanks for the comment Nigel, but I think I will hold off and find my way with observations first. Seems imaging is a whole new kettle of fish, though it is on my wish list for future.

Did you know whether a T mount adapter would leave the sensor exposed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

HI guys

i have a 200 flex tube auto tracking dob and im looking at buying the above camera

for short exposures of 3-5 seconds and then stack several of them could i get some results?

im currently using a point and shoot cam on a badaar clock stop adapter and had some good results of the orion nebula at a 15 second exposure(the shortest setting)

and ive done alot of webcam photography

would you say this camera is capable?

HI guys

i have a 200 flex tube auto tracking dob and im looking at buying the above camera

for short exposures of 3-5 seconds and then stack several of them could i get some results?

im currently using a point and shoot cam on a badaar clock stop adapter and had some good results of the orion nebula at a 15 second exposure(the shortest setting)

and ive done alot of webcam photography

would you say this camera is capable?

tom you would be better starting a new thread for this ...

i would suggest using a webcam for pics of the planets and moon with your dob ..;)

canon has the best dslr`s for astropics ... nikon are good also , but cannon`s are the number 1 for AP

Archived