SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New observing area

cgarry

I finally got some decking down around my pier today. This should make observing in my garden less of a mud fest! I made the decking wider than needed for just the pier in order to have a guest observing area!

post-21918-1338775534_thumb.jpg

In the photo the pier is fitted with a NEQ6 head and C9.25 scope. Next to it is my grab and go set-up, a Z80FD scope on an AZ4 mount.

I would be tempted to get a SkyShed POD to go around the pier, if they didn't cost £2.5k. :D

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks guys.

That looks wonderful!

Does the entire package come off the permanent pier easily?

Dan

To pack up I just take off the scope and weights then cover the pier and head with a heavy duty rubble sack and a garden chair cover. Leaving the head on saves polar aligning each time which saves so much time! I have not decided if I will leave the head on throughout the winter yet, especially if it is a cold as the winter we have just had.

Nice set up Chris! I can see how mud can have been a problem! The house must give you problems sometimes (it does me) especially if it's your house. So many times I tell myself,... "If only that roof wasn't there".

Isabelle

The houses in the photo are to my north-west and are not really a problem. The biggest problem is my own house which completely blocks the eastern horizon. As you say, if only that roof was not there!

Chris

To pack up I just take off the scope and weights then cover the pier and head with a heavy duty rubble sack and a garden chair cover. Leaving the head on saves polar aligning each time which saves so much time! I have not decided if I will leave the head on throughout the winter yet, especially if it is a cold as the winter we have just had.

Chris

Just wondering - Mrs. Astra insists that I take everything down and pack it away each time - she says "we're not leaving that much $$ outside!"

I'll show her your post (it's a lot drier by us than by you!), but I don't expect her to change her mind!

Dan

You could build a snazzy pier/mount cover out of marine ply, with some ventilation holes....lock it to the base of the pier somehow. Then at least most of the time you could leave the mount on. Maybe just remove the mount for holidays/extended periods of disuse...

You could build a snazzy pier/mount cover out of marine ply, with some ventilation holes....lock it to the base of the pier somehow. Then at least most of the time you could leave the mount on. Maybe just remove the mount for holidays/extended periods of disuse...

Actually the mount does stay on most of the time now, though I do like the idea of a solid cover. So long as it doesn't look like a coffin standing on its end, it should look a bit better than the current solution!

post-21918-133877554225_thumb.jpg

Chris

though I do like the idea of a solid cover. So long as it doesn't look like a coffin standing on its end

[removed word]! I never thought of that! There goes my plan to cover my pier/mount up the swanny.

How about making it into a black Monolith as-in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Archived