Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

David Levy, Comet Hunter

Astroman

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes anyway.

Famous comet hunter David Levy has endured and survived a minor stroke, sometime last week. Here is an email from Dr. Mario Motta of the AAVSO regarding his condition, but jsut so you know, he should recover.

Hello all,

I have some bad news to report regarding David Levy. First of all, as a physician I would never disclose private confidential information. On talking with Wendee (David's wife) this morning, as the "news" is already out, she stated

it is OK to inform all of you of the current status and thus avoid speculation and misinformation.

David had a right hemisphere stroke sometime in past week. It is a deep white matter tissue stroke, so symptoms were actually somewhat subtle, but CT scan is clear, he did have a stroke. The good news is ultrasound shows no

significant blockages in carotid arteries, so no surgery is needed. An MRA scan is tomorrow looking for any hidden issues such as aneurysm's etc. He is on aspirin, and recovering.

He had been recovering from spinal surgery from October, had a setback with a bout of tachycardia, set off by a respiratory problem. He was nearly recovered from all of this when the Stroke occurred. I had the pleasure of

visiting David and Wendee at their home just 2 weeks ago, and at that time David was finally feeling well and getting his strength back, in fact we observed together most of the night.

Fortunately, though he has some left arm weakness, the prognosis should be good. (pending further studies). Recovery should ensue (yet again for him), and aspirin therapy may be all that is needed. It is always hard to

discuss a close friend dispassionately, but I will speak for all here and wish him a speedy recovery, and an end to a seemingly long string of health setbacks he has had to endure. Our thoughts go Wendee as well, who as I am sure you understand, is worried sick and has her hands full.

Please do not flood her mailbox with e-mails as she is really quite busy right now, but cards of sympathy by close friends out there I am sure will be appreciated by David and Wendee.

Mario Motta, MD

I've met and known David many times, mostly at smaller star parties and the Tucson club meetings. He's a fine, enthusiastic individual, and really enjoys sharing his hobby with others. Wendee is one of the nicest people you'd ever wnat to meet, too. I wish them well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts go out to him... hope for a speedy recovery

Gotta respect a guy who's bagged so many comets. Not to mention jointly discovered probably the most important comet of the 20th Century...namely Shoemaker-Levy 9. :jupiter:

Archived