Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just fancied a moan!

spaceboy

Hi

Joking and air weapons aside take your issue to your local authority who will have an environment team. Tell them that the streetlights in question are causing problems and they might be sympathetic. I've heard that some authorities can install light shields to prevent them from shining in a given direction. As a DIY solution I've seen an anglers keep net used as a light shield by looping it over the street light. As the net hands down in folds it forms a basic hood that noticably reduces LP. The other argument is cost, try suggesting dimming of turning off streetlights in your area between midnight and 4am and see if this is a workable solution.

Good luck!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my skies down from mag 5+ to 4ish in my memory, I have a college and floodlit playing fields nearby but nothing like as serious as yours and I sympathise. I hope you can do something about the more immediate problem streetlights. Ive given up on this as the neighbours seem to reinforce it with their own paranoia lights.

Writing a letter to your Environment Dept (street lighting is part of mine) is a good idea as they will reply within 14 days.

They are sympathetic and if there is something which can easily be done which does not affect others and reduces light pollution then they should help. Your councillor might help.

John.

That's ridiculous Slangers, I'm a fine one to moan with only 2 st lights causing me stress. Your picture captures that unworldly orange glow perfectly. In my defense the st light are practically in my garden. My garden is 12mtrs long and I have one st light at the side at 4mtrs and one at the end of the garden at 8mtrs. Nice bright white light splashing out all over the garden. They are in just the right place that when standing the light blinds you. Sit down and either one or the other casts light across the ground. It's so annoying, like having a fly buzzing around you that just won't leave you alone.

That made me smile ruefully. I'm just outside Aldermaston village and we benefit from the orange glow from AWE. I've always supposed that its caused by security lights, but perhaps there's something else that I should be worrying about! There was a time not so long ago when the barns next door were farm buildings. Now they're business units and sprinkled with spurious lights, and although I have complained (politely) on more than one occasion the occupants still seem unable to pull down the blinds when they're working late. And as you say, a slight breeze, passing rabbit, and the security lights go one on for 20 mins. It drives me mad.

Roy

I really sympathise and I think I am lucky - despite being near Stoke on Trent I am just far enough into the hills and just far enough off the road that the sky is reasonably dark - but next time the orange clag and the ever-present cloud get you down, please spare a thought for people like stolenfeather.

We all have things that bug the hell out of us but sf's attitude is amazing and a real inspiration to get up and deal with it!

J.

THE PLAN IS:

1) Take some pics of the most problematic lights. DONE (This is 21:30 with clear skies)

2) Write a letter.

3) Find details of local councillor. DONE

3) Take letter by hand to the councillor in the hope I may be able to discus my issue.

Since the country is bankrupt, if we just work out how much the country is wasting....maybe a bandwagon-jumping-on politician might get interested.

It was the fourth Earth Hour the other day, where cities around the world turned lights off for an hour. I never heard a jot about it around my way!

And always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the right side of life...

(Come on guys, cheer up!)

Always look on the bright side of life...

(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)

(I mean - what have you got to lose?)

(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.

What have you lost? Nothing!)

Always look on the right side of life...:D

THE PLAN IS:

1) Take some pics of the most problematic lights. DONE (This is 21:30 with clear skies)

2) Write a letter.

3) Find details of local councillor. DONE

3) Take letter by hand to the councillor in the hope I may be able to discus my issue.

Looks like you have two issues:

1: the overall light pollution (you are right - it's dreadful!) - all arguments above apply

2: the specific street light - possibly going to be a bit harder to deal with unless you can get them to agree that it is not needed between certain hours. It appears to shine down into your garden so I suspect a standard shroud may not be too effective for you.

Last time I tried to get a complaint through to a councellor I had all sorts of difficulties - the initial letter got a standard fob-off response and it was next to impossible to get an appointment. In the end I resported to giving them the choice of meeting to discuss or doing it through the local paper, accompanied by a full list of everything the council had done to make complining difficult - that did the trick.

As has been commented above, your local MP might be inclined to jump on the "switch off lights to save costs" band-wagon. I think all MPs hold local surgeries where you will be guaranteed an audience with them.

Good luck!

J.

We had a power cut last night which was great as I was out with the Bins already. The difference was staggering. I thought I was fairly well off LPwise but during the power cut the skies just opened up.

• 1 month later...

I will be the first to admit I am not the most motivated person in the world so needless to say it's been a while. I decided the hope for a bolt of lightening to evaporate the troublesome st lighting or a break down in the national grid was never going to happen so finally pulled my finger out and done some research before submitting my complaint.

These are some interesting finds that may help others in a similar boat:

Light Pollution and the Law

Light pollution - Light nuisance - Coventry City Council

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

Light Pollution - Environmental Protection UK

Unfortunately my only hope "Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005" dose not relate to st lighting so I can only hope that with the amount of light spill in to my garden, the lack of privacy I suffer because of it and a filed complaint will encourage the council to at least attempt to make some sort of shield to isolate the stray light.

My original plan was to contact my local councilor but research would suggest I am better chasing the local Environmental health department first, councilor second and as a final resort the media.

I have tried to appeal to the EHD on several levels so here's keeping my fingers crossed that they understand so that this doesn't turn in to a ridiculous duck hunt with no quick resolve.

I will keep the thread updated when and if I hear anything for anyone who is interested.

2) Write a letter. DONE

3) Find details of local councilor. DONE

3) Take letter by hand to the councilor in the hope I may be able to discus my issue.

3a) Email letter and pictures to local Environmental Health Department with concerns of nuisance lighting. DONE

4) Await response

SPACEBOY

Reply received today:-

Thank You for contacting Environmental Health.

Your request has now been processed and will be dealt with shortly.

Should you need to contact us regarding this request please call us on the number below quoting Job Number ***********.

Regards

Environmental Health

Regulatory Services,

Regulatory Services

PO Box 15908

Birmingham

B2 2UD

Telephone - 0121 303 6007

Email - publichealth@birmingham.gov.uk

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/regulatorycharter.

"If you wish to make a donation to the Lord Mayor's Charity Appeal please visit

http://www.justgiving.com/lordmayorbirmingham"

Fair Regulation for all -to deliver quality services for all and work towards a clean, green, safe and fair trading city

It will be interesting to see what they actually do if anything but at least the ball is now rolling. Hoping that they sort it during summer ready for the dark nights later in the year :)

Light pollution is a bane, where I am, South East Kent, I have a shopping centre in the middle of town that's permanently illuminated with white light, the Channel tunnel site, also lit with white lights, A harbour that isn't used but is constantly awash and a major seaport six miles east that throws light up, some how I still manage to get some good skies.

I wouldn't mind but there is some suggestion that LP increases the risk of breast cancer in women. How artificial lights and womens breasts have any thing to do with one another is any ones guess but there are a few reports on the internet relating to this link ;) Probably another one of those crazy surveys where scientists have nothing better to do. :)

Archived