Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Australia

Darvey Down Under

Thanks for letting me in the club. I've always loved star gazing. The kids are starting to get old enough to love it too. Put Worldwide Telescope up on the big screen a few months ago and they were mesmerized. With a recent move to Australia and the purchase of a 4-wheel drive to get us deep into the dark outback, I'm ready to make an investment in stargazing gear. I'd really like to get into astrophotography, particularly the deep space variety. You guys have taken some amazing photos.

I've just finish a six-hour, non-stop Internet research session online. I've learned a ton but still can't make up my mind. If you were just starting out and had $2000 US to spend today for everything (case, lenses, CCD, scope, adaptors, batteries, etc.), what would you buy? I'm going to bed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would seriously consider the CGEM-9.25 Edge HD from Celestron. A Schmidt-Cassegrain is very compact, and the CGEM mount is rugged and a breeze to tote along and set up, and if you can get the hyperstar setup (Welcome to Starizona.com) and a focal reducer, you can take photos at f/10 (great planetary and lunar), f/6.3 (nice for deep sky and guided stuff), and f/1.8 with Hyperstar - this is AMAZING - at f/1.8 you can get deep sky stuff with a fraction of the tracking time (you cut the exposure time by a factor of 30 compared to f/10). Reduced tracking time means far fewer problems with precision tracking, no need for a computerized autoguider, and far easier and more forgiving to set up if you are going out with it as opposed to a permanent set up where you can precisely tune the alignment over days and weeks of observing.

For cases, I think JMItelescopes.com has great ones - don't know about prices or if there are better options locally in Australia for you. Jim Burr makes great stuff, very rugged and custom fitted for your scope, too.

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide.

Dan

Archived