Bodged Battery Box

old_eyes

Inspired by Arad85's battery box, I wanted something similar. However, there were three problems:

1. I'm time poor and I want to spend time on astronomy not building
  2. My woodworking skills were never that great
  3. My kids seem to have nicked/wrecked most of the small collection of tools I do own.

I therefore went for minimum work and maximum bodging potential.

The pictures below show what I did.

I took a Numax polypropylene battery box. This has a single cigar socket, screw post connectors, a 100A switch, battery state meter, and the battery connectors all built in.

With a 75Ah battery, there is space at the end of the box to put additional sockets in the side of the box. I figured a 75Ah battery was good for most sessions I am likely to undertake.

I followed Arad85's suggestions and got 6 marine quality sockets, wire and crimp connectors from Towzatronics on e-bay. Fuse box, 10A fuses and brass battery clamps from elsewhere on e-bay.

I drilled 26mm holes (I happened to have one of those drills for putting lay-flat hinges on kitchen units) and opened these up enough with a sharp knife to get the sockets in.

I had a scrap of timber from some project or other that was just the right width to fill the gap between the battery and the end wall of the box, so I made a U-shaped section to mount all the wiring on, and to make sure the battery cannot slide down the box and crush the sockets. Just three lengths of wood glued and screwed. The skilled among you will notice that this is in no way square, and in fact leans drunkenly, but it fits the space nicely.

A thicker 40A positive cable from the battery box switch to a connector block, and 6 x 10A cables from the block to the spade terminals on the fuse box, and then on to the sockets. 6 x 10A negatives from the sockets to a connector block and back via a 40A negative cable to the battery terminal.

Total time about 3 hours. Most of that cutting and stripping wire and fitting crimp connectors.

It works OK, but has not been repeatedly thrown in the back of the car yet.

Hope it helps someone

old_eyes

post-17595-133877552631_thumb.jpg

post-17595-133877552637_thumb.jpg

post-17595-133877552643_thumb.jpg

post-17595-133877552648_thumb.jpg

post-17595-133877552653_thumb.jpg

post-17595-133877552658_thumb.jpg

Exellent bodgengineering old eyes - that looks like an exellent solution.

Bizibilder can be such a numpty at times!! It wasn't until I saw your pictures that I realised that there were slits in the carrying handles to take the webbing lid retainer!!! My box is now properly assembled!!

Yes I like this, it has had my interest for awhile. Have loads of 12v waterproof plugs, sockets and switches from my sailing days and have been tempted to do something but one thing is stopping me and that is the weight of the battery. My old bones are creaking and lugging a battery box around is a bit prohibitive, I might look at putting a box on wheels. :D

Jim

Bizibilder can be such a numpty at times!! It wasn't until I saw your pictures that I realised that there were slits in the carrying handles to take the webbing lid retainer!!! My box is now properly assembled!!

Yep! I didn't notice them the first time round either, and cursed the idiot who designed it so the handles were covered by the webbing strap :D.

old_eyes

• 1 year later...

This is inspiring. I'm going to make one - all credit to you, old_eyes for inspiration ;)

May I ask what type of choc blocks you used to splice the 6 x 15A wire to the 40A main terminal wire?

Many thanks,

Mike

EDIT, I think I've figured it out.. like this?

post-18683-133877756157_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived