SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

In search for Barnard's Loop

Shot Orion again in an attempt to capture more nebulosity. Unfortunately Orion is dipping towards the only source of light pollution I have here at this time of year once the sun sets.

but I got the most Nebulosity I've ever gotten from Orion.

6 subs w/ 2 darks

720sec @ f4.5

5560326696_a8b200309c_z.jpg

Stunning photo.

You must have a really steady hand to track for so long with your barndoor.

I am so jealous of your dark skies.

Cheers

Thank you, however it's 5 subs at 120 seconds each and it was shot at around 40mm so I only had to track 90 degrees every 15 seconds. Simple on my scotch mount :D but thank you!

I too have captured the loop but didn't require any Ha to do it but I did use a Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C and a 50mm Canon Lens so I guess the sensitivity of the M25C won the day! I used 100 second exposures with the lens set to f2.8 (stopped down from F1.8).

Nice image by the way, the loop is certainly there and I'm impressed with the use of your Scotch Mount. There is also some nice nebulosity at the head of Orion that you have captured although its name escapes me just now.

I too have captured the loop but didn't require any Ha to do it but I did use a Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C and a 50mm Canon Lens so I guess the sensitivity of the M25C won the day! I used 100 second exposures with the lens set to f2.8 (stopped down from F1.8).

Nice image by the way, the loop is certainly there and I'm impressed with the use of your Scotch Mount. There is also some nice nebulosity at the head of Orion that you have captured although its name escapes me just now.

I want to say it starts with an M....Messia or something which is likely way off. :D thank you I've seen barnyards loop captured without the Ha it just requires quite long exposure time.

Nice capture... your barndoors doing you proud :D

I Missed it this year but will try again at the next opportunity...

Dark skies make a huge difference when trying to capture Barnards loop ...

Yep its the Meissa (Lambda Orionis) Nebula... one that looks like an "aliens" head ....

Peter....

Nice capture... your barndoors doing you proud :D

I Missed it this year but will try again at the next opportunity...

Dark skies make a huge difference when trying to capture Barnards loop ...

Yep its the Meissa (Lambda Orionis) Nebula... one that looks like an "aliens" head ....

Peter....

yeah I'm thinking I may have to get out as soon as the skies get dark in order to shoot Orion better. I just have to figure out what to turn my attention to in the mean time.

Is there anything else out there in the spring sky that compares to the wide assortment within Orion?

and thank you for the name of that nebula. I was pretty close haha.

I should also have congratulated you on an outstanding handling of the mount. Sorry to have overlooked that first time.

The Meissa nebula is an absolute beauty and rarely seen in images.

Olly

well thank you, I can survive without praise though. I just like to get feedback in general. But my ego doesn't mind it:D

We're coming into galaxy season at the moment which are really longer FL targets...

At the moment I would have a look at Auriga & Cassiopea, and you will love Cygnus but thats not ideally placed for a few months yet...

Peter...

Gotcha I can't wait until the milky ways core makes it's appearance. initially, I truly built the barndoor so that I'll be able to get a nice shot of that. But I know I have to wait till late summer or early fall I think, unless my researching on stellarium was off

Archived