1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

I quit!

Went out tonight to the local SEKAS meeting. Set my scope up and with some help we tired to get the scope to move correctly. Each time the RA motor got in the way not allowing full movement of the scope. Even the lads helping said the motor was on incorrectly (it isn't according to the manual.)

Both children up set that there scope doesn't work so we had to walk around looking through club scopes avaliable.

I quit, give up.

This will be No2 scope that's going in the bin.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like something basic is wrong here.....I dont know the mount terribly well or the motor but the Skywatcher EQ2 mount has a weird fitting that confuses people as well.

Can you not just use the scope without the motor for the moment until someone else can have a look.

According to the guy's the mounts got the adjusters on the wrong way around too.

The motor is held on by 1 Allen bolt and a grub screw, so its easy to remove. Shame to have spent £36 on it from FLO's to remove it.

With SGL6 coming up next weekend there's not a lot I can do top fix something that doesn't appear to be bust. Going to be a wasted weekend with the scope like this if its wrong and a waste of money, effort and two very upset children let alone a frustrated me.

Edited by stardad

Well it wobt be a wasted weekend - you will meet some nice people, some of them may even be able to fix the scope for you and you will have lots of other scopes to look through.

Can you not take this up with the dealer that sold the scope ?

It does sound to me like there is something simple at fault and not all astronomers are good with hardware so the fact that people at a club couldnt fix it wouldnt neccessarily surprise me.

I am sure there will be some hardware SGL6 who can advise.

Well it wobt be a wasted weekend - you will meet some nice people, some of them may even be able to fix the scope for you and you will have lots of other scopes to look through.

Can you not take this up with the dealer that sold the scope ?

It does sound to me like there is something simple at fault and not all astronomers are good with hardware so the fact that people at a club couldnt fix it wouldnt neccessarily surprise me.

I am sure there will be some hardware SGL6 who can advise.

Bought it second hand so I have no one to go back to.

Don't want to travel the 200 miles just to upset two children like tonight. After my christmas scope screw up any set back seems a big mountain for her. I need a good workshop manual for the thing.....

Any experts on a CG-3 mount that can help please.

Cheers

I will also throw my two cents in - please don't quit!

I will virtually guarantee that if you get the scope into the hands of someone else who has one - you will find that your problem is lots more common than you thought - and probably easy to fix.

Admittedly there are issues with the dealer - manuals badly translated by people who are not 'native English speakers' can also be terribly frustrating. :p

All that is beside the point - it is about what we teach our kids about how we handle challenges and frustration. "I Quit!" would not be something I wanted my kids to do or say. Show them that Dad may pop off and be frustrated - but then he buckles down to work and solves the problem. :(

You can do it - I know you can - you just need the right help. Post on the equipment help section and I'm sure you will find someone with the same mount - probably someone who has already solved this and can show you the way. I know this is true, because I just spent $5K on a new mount from Celestron - and it wouldn't assemble properly - the darn thing would almost fall over when I put my refractor on it. (Much worse than a motor problem!!!) I found help in a forum like this one on line - and once I had the answer - I had it fixed in just 15 minutes.

Maybe you can PM someone and arrange to meet them at SGL6?

Heck, either that, or the next time you're out my way - just bring your scope over and we can fix it up pronto! I'll even let you and your kids have a go with my big refractor! ;) Seriously, I may be a bit out of the way for you, but I'd be willing to bet you can find the expertise you need so badly much closer to home.

And your kids will be the better for it! :D

Good luck!

Dan

I can't imagine the kids getting upset when there's so much to see and do and I'm sure many of us will wlecome you and your children openly to use/try our kit. I know there's nothing like having your own kit but don't give up now when you seem so close.

I agree with Astro_Baby. The star party will provide a really good opportunity to meet lots of fellow SGL members, who are great people. You may be able to find someone who can help fix your mount problem, or at least advise you on what can be done.

And at all the star parties I have been too, it a been a wonderful opportunity to look through some amazing scopes. There are always some people willing to share a view through their scope, although sometimes you have to join the queue!

It can also be great to compare views of a certain object through different equipment too to see what is possible, or what the limitations are.

Don't quit. And do come along to SGL6 - I am sure you will all enjoy it!

I know your experience/problems must be a big disappointment for the children and equally frustrating for you, but even if you have no working gear, a star party offers so much encouragement, inspiration, enthusiasm and passion for this hobby.

Edited by Sarah

Look at this way... there will be around 100 people at SGL6, I'm sure between us all we can resolve the problem. Besides, for me it's a 300 mile round trip, and it's a brake away and a chance to meet new friends and experience something new (I've never camped before). So come along, show your kids that daddy don't quit and will seek help and learn from this experience.

I'm still getting to know my scope and my way around the night sky, but you and your children are all welcome to come and have a look through my scope if we can't fix yours, and I'm sure that goes for a lot of other members.

You will allmost definitely find some one at SGL6 who can patch it for you. There are some pretty handy people going that you'd do well to meet up with and get to know.

Even if it's unfixable (which I doubt) - you'll get some great guidance on how to find stuff manually - so it won't be a wasted trip.

And if the weathers a dud - at least it's a camping trip with lots of stuff to do/visit with the kids. Well worth going imho :D

Edited by brantuk

I'm happy to spend a few hours with you one to one at SGL6 to see what we can do with the mount.

It's a Celestron mount, they make loads of good mounts - if there was a design flaw then everyone with that mount would have the same issue and I think we'd have heard about that by now.

Did you read this thread?

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/80408-problems-cg-3-equatorial-mount-holding-celestron-astromaster-130eq-md.html

Cheers

Ant

Hi Stardad

Don't quit :p

I've just got into atronomy properly with my first scope and spent the first two weeks getting very very frustrated because I could not get my setup and alignment correct and so my 'goto' would not locate objects as requested. I spent a good few nights stomping round the garden, swearing quietly so a s not to wake the neighbours. The more I tried to fix the problem, the more frustrated I was getting and had almost become blinkered and continued to try and setup in the same way each time thinking I was actually doing it correctly - unfortunately each time misinterpreting the manual instructions :D

I was at my wits end and eventually conceded defeat and posted on this forum with my problem. Several kind and knowledgeable souls gave me some very good advice and a few tips. Next time I setup, hey-presto, it worked first time. Because I was frustrated I was only compounding the setup issues each time and was unable to step-back and do a bit of lateral thinking.

Thankfully those days are behind me (though Ive still got an awful lot to learn!) and in the end it was a simple error I was making with my initial alignment, thanks to everyone who posted solutions.

If you're going to SGL6 (lucky man), I'm sure there will be someone there who can advise you, it just takes a different set of eyes sometimes.

Keep the faith.

Stu

As the rest - don't let a bit of equipment beat you.

I've not long started, but there have been a couple of nights, where it's just it's not working properly, or something just not right - have called it a night and given up on that one.

It may sound daft - but try the movement during the daylight, see how it's obstructing.

The motor on my EQ5 was stopping on the mount movement knobs - while during the night outside - it was driving me mad. During daylight - it all made sense, removed the knobs & now sorted.

Hi Stardad,

Don't cancel coming to SGL6! If no one can fix the problem (...which I very much doubt) I can put your scope on my NEQ6 mount and we can have a whizz about the sky till it's the kiddies bedtime (probably after mine!) At least that way its not a wasted journey and you can get to see what your scope is capable of showing. You can't miss this opportunity to have a great time and to fix your kit!

Clear skies

James

Stardad, you have had some great offers of help and think of it this way, once it is all working correctly then the magic begins.

Plus you will be showing your kids not to quit at the first sign of trouble, which is priceless.

Any my two boys aged 10 and 13 are looking forward to SGL6 and playing with the other children who come so please come along.

I will, using your scope show you Saturn, a ball of 500,000 stars a pair of galaxies and the most amazing star cluster....without using the motor..

Mark

Thanks for all the encouragement and offers.

I dont thing the children will let me get out of SGL6 that easily as they are already excited about it this weekend. Most of that must have been down to the guy's at SEKAS who let them see Saturn through a 14inch Dob, a 4in refractor and one person who let them see the Fish Nebula through another scope.

Just wish we could use ours to the same level of expertease.....

• 10 months later...