Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST

martin_h

Why does BST always start when I'm on holiday or a day off? I think it should start at 16:00hrs on a Monday, that way we'd get paid an extra hour but have to work less :p

This man right here is a genius.:(

Of course you would have to work an hour more for no money when it's time for the clocks to go back.:D

But honestly this is my only gripe with DST, why do they have to monkey with our sleep. We would all be far more accepting of it if it was early evening or something in waking hours.

BST... BS Time! Nuffield said.... Oh look some people think we can make the economy right by making it stay light in the evening so people can spend more..... Not sure the logic works..... We still seem to be able to spend in December and January. Can someone explain the concept of "mid day" to them!

PEterW

PS the only positive is the sun stays observable for 'another hour' before getting blocked by a tree!

This man right here is a genius.:(

Of course you would have to work an hour more for no money when it's time for the clocks to go back.:D

But honestly this is my only gripe with DST, why do they have to monkey with our sleep. We would all be far more accepting of it if it was early evening or something in waking hours.

Why thank you sir!

and the clocks can go back at closing time on a Saturday night, simples :p

Why do we have BST anyway?

Introduced during WWI to reduce the amount of time the oiks who worked in munitions factories were spending down the pub. Now that we have effectively got rid of closing time it no longer has any justification.

I never understand why this creates such high emotions. We still have exactly the same number of hours of darkness, whether it is BST or GMT (or any other MT for that matter). If that dark period occurs in the morning, just go to bed an hour earlier, get up an hour earlier and spend that hour observing morning objects. 'Swhat I do ... and before anyone says it, it's what I did when I had to get into work by 8am as well.

Why do we have BST anyway? Why can't it stay GMT all year round?

It is called Willett's Daylight Saver, devised by a guy called William Willett, funny, he never got to see it used, he died before it came in. I once worked with his Great Grandson Pat Willet, nice bloke.

I never understand why this creates such high emotions. We still have exactly the same number of hours of darkness, whether it is BST or GMT (or any other MT for that matter). If that dark period occurs in the morning, just go to bed an hour earlier, get up an hour earlier and spend that hour observing morning objects. 'Swhat I do ... and before anyone says it, it's what I did when I had to get into work by 8am as well.

Each to there own, but i don't like it because i loss an hours observation in the evening, still got to go to bed at the same time if i'm at work the following morning.

Not at all ... just grab an extra hour's kip whilst at work ...

hehe :), done that one, power kip in the car mid morning :).

Thrown a few sickess as well cos i've been too creamcrackered, :)

Dont think i'll be the first on here, or the last :D

I guess for most people its just the reminder that BST means summer is coming and with that comes short nights. I guess also its just that short adjustment period where you have to get to work an hour earlier but the night before you dont feel tired enough to go to bed early.

Matt

Over here in the former colonies, we are on a different schedule for the changing of the clocks. We've been on dst for 2 weeks already. At least, those of us who do so have been. It's not universal here. States, counties and municipalities can opt out. It is maddening to try to keep up with which ZIP codes and area codes are on which clock.

Last time I was required to work it out, Arizona remained on the same time system year 'round. Indiana (I think it is) has cities and counties that opt out.

We should count our selfes lucky that it is only one hour!

Next year could/probably be two hours!!

Now then we will have somthing to moan about!

Michael

It got canned Michael earlier this month.

Plan To Change Britain's Clocks Abandoned - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance :)

I wonder how many millions were spent on paying baffoo's to figure that one out, the Goverment back peddling, never :D

Over here in the former colonies, we are on a different schedule for the changing of the clocks. We've been on dst for 2 weeks already. At least, those of us who do so have been. It's not universal here. States, counties and municipalities can opt out. It is maddening to try to keep up with which ZIP codes and area codes are on which clock.

Last time I was required to work it out, Arizona remained on the same time system year 'round. Indiana (I think it is) has cities and counties that opt out.

yep twice a year causes havoc with global IT systems when the host server country go out of synch with other Daylight Saving changes in other 'user' countries.

I swear half the time it's down to some network guy forgetting or not creating a reminder or even worse and I largely suspect that they have no idea that other countries do things differently.

Archived