Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your favourite planet in the solar system

AndyMac

What is your favourite planet in the solar system?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite planet in the solar system?

• Mercury
    • Venus
    • Mars
    • Jupiter
    • Saturn
    • Uranus
    • Neptune
    • Lil 'ole Pluto

(Hopefully 'Earth' would be top of everyone's list. Without it, we wouldn't have this forum!) :)

OK we've done deep sky - so I thought we'd do planets this time round. Vote for your favourite planet now & post a wee note saying why you've made that choice.

Thanks for your vote. :)

Well I've voted for Mars as my favourite colour is red.

Telescopically this planet cannot compete with Jupiter or Saturn but can easily overtake Venus which merely shows phases.

I like the way that this planet can hover for months on end, looking no more than a moderate to bright star & can then flare up to outshine the mighty planet Jupiter. :shock:

Also, oppositions of this planet are more of a treat; its relatively fast motion around the sun meaning that it only comes to opposition about once every (more than) two years.

Jupiter or Saturn are tied in my book, but I prefer looking at Jupiter. The details on the atmospheric bands and the dance of the moons make it interesting every time. Showing Saturn's rings to newbies is a great experience and I live vicariously when I do that, but it's not the same as seeing Jupiter's red spot and festoons on steady nights. 8)

Seeing as i cant vote for Jupiter and Saturn it has too be Jupiter because there's always something new too look at with each session out with the scope. Sometimes suttle differance's other nights disturbances,Moon's shadows etc etc that are a sight to wonder at.

The Grs is my fav feature on the planet and capturing it onto digital formats is such a buzz esp when looking at one's own image and compareing it to the 60's and 70's images from the large telescope's and saying mine's just as good or better :)..

James the Dyslexic

I've gone for Mars. Something about it. I like the idea that i'm looking at another planet a bit like our own ie polar caps, surface markings, dust storms, seasons etc. Rather than the gas giants.

But it was a very close call. A 3 way shoot out. Saturn provided my best moment ever when i found it for the first time aged 13 with my little ol Tasco 50mm. And Jupiter because it's just so darn interesting.

But Mars wins just.

Russ

I've gone for Saturn. Saturn is special for me. It was the first object I ever looked at through a telescope and I have to be honest I think it was that one view that really sparked my interest off i this hobby.

Ant

• 3 weeks later...

Saturn is the one for me because every time i look at it through my scope it never fails to take my breath away.

I don't know why this is its just a good feeling i get inside when i see it through a scope that i don't get when looking at the other planets though i must admit to liking them also.

I voted Mars.

That cheeky little red planet seems to have it all for me... if only you could see my PC screen for example... back drop pictures / screen saver, etc. etc.

I receive daily emails for JPL with rover post cards.... love the planet. Just wanna go there to see it for myself, however thats not going to happen. Really waiting for the first manned landing now.

Rob

Yea, got to admit, my reaction was very similar - even though I was only using a 60mm department store refractor.

As a kid back in 1975 I was really wanting to see Mars. When I did eventually see it, it was a big disappointment to me as I was expecting to see a disk the size of the moon (boy, had I alot to learn in them days)! :oops:

Seeing the rings of Saturn for the first time was a real eye-opener. :shock: I think that, next to the moon, we have Saturn to thank for getting people interested in this nutty hobby of ours. :)

When I was a lad..... tee hee. No what you mean though Andy. Mind you, there is a chance you get that feel again once you move to a bigger scope!!

Seeing the division is another milestone

Archived