SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrading

I have decided that my 6" SCT is not giving me what I want so have decided to upgrade but keeping the 6". I want to do AP and to this end I am going for a WO Megrez 90 APO plus a guiderscope, keeping the 6" longside the M90 for planetary work. The mount will be upgraded to an NEQ6 which will hold the whole system. I would be grateful for any input from anyone, am I going down the right road or should I look at something else :D.

Jim

hi jim, sounds like a good plan, ap with the WO90 on the heavy mount will work well and still having the 6" for planets, best of both worlds, if you put a dslr on the 6" you should get some cracking lunar shots

Hi Jim

I think you've made a good choice. I've recently started travelling down the slippery slope of AP. After endless reading and asking questions I came to the conclusion that this is a well tried and tested kit list. I have the NEQ6 and ST80 as guide scope so far and very happy with them. I use a DSLR piggy backed on top of the ST80 with various lenses.

I'm about to order the 80ED after going through the whole "what should I get" thread routine. :D

One thing to be aware of that did catch me out was the new mount on the ST80. Its the plastic foot for a tripod mount. So as I was attaching it to the NEQ6 I had to get a vixen dovetail and make an aluminium plate that the rings attached to and then bolt that to the dovetail as the holes didn't align.

What I think I'll do when I get the 80ED is get the ADM mini dovetail 125mm guide-rings for the ST80. Fit the dovetail upside down on top of the 80ED and attach to that.

rings are here ADM Guidescope Rings and systems - ADM Mini Dovetail Guidescope Rings

Hope that helps

That is great Space and thank you for troubling to give me that info, yes I have seen that problem with the dovetail from another thread. I liked what I seen in the photo on it and knew what I needed so am in the process of ordering, will see if I can get the rings at the same time, thanks again.

Jim

Sorry not have seen this thread earlier but a week of DIY called while we were guestless in the moon time!

I reckon you've got the package really well sorted. Slightly more mount than you need (excellent!), a classic imaging scope and a great guidescope. Didn't know they had gone over to a camera shoe though. My second ST80, bought recently, came with rings. If you get a Barlow with it you can ditch the lens and use the rest as an extension to get to focus with the guide cam.

What about the flattener reducer? Well worth having.

Olly

Yes Olly, thought long and hard about this, trawled the threads for info and seen the light :D. The whole set up is the NEQ6 with a Celestron 6"SCT for planetry , the SW Evostar 80 for DS and the SW Startraveller 80 as a guidescope. Still bits and pieces to get but am quite happy I have it right, should have it all by Wed/Thu next :p. Just an afterthought, the NEQ6 mount will be going on the pier so I will have a spare tripod if anyone is after one, the CG-SGT will be my grab and grunt mount :(. Next in line is a PST!!!

Jim

Well the NEQ6 arrived today, and what a monster the mount is, I am dumfounded. Although I have seen photos of it I did not realise how big it was compared to my CG-5GT, I am not worried now about what I can put on it, my worry is the pier is not big enough, just wondering what have I let myself in for :).

Jim

Well one thing is certain Peter, it looks like I will have to shorten the pier!! If I were to use it as is with a mount adapter I will need a stepladder :) . Looks like tomorrow is going to be a noisy, dirty day and the cutter is going to be doing overtime.

Jim

Well here is part of my upgrade, on the tripod at the moment but as soon as the pier is upgraded all will be moved to it :).

the-sailor-albums-observatory-picture10184-040.jpg

the-sailor-albums-observatory-picture10183-039.jpg

the-sailor-albums-observatory-picture10182-038.jpg

Not everything is in place yet but the mount is great and am sure it will take a few more items. Am very happy with the movement, almost silent, one of the things which gave me headaches when the chavs walked by and the CG-5GT was slewing. For those interested there is a 7 port USB hub in the centre which will be the link to the laptop. On the guide scope I have put a laser in place of the finder, once I have the mount on the pier I will calibrate all to the Evostar 80.

Jim

Archived