SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anything else I can do here?

Hello :p

I have been playing with the little data I managed to collect a few weeks ago on the Rosette.

Only 5 x 8mins and stupidly NO calibration frames! :D

Taken with ED80,300D,HEQ5 ISO800.

I know it is a forever battle with SNR and I have lost the battle in this one but just wanted to check to see if there was anything else I could do in PS to improve the background noise and amp glow?

I have used Noels actions using layers to ease them back a bit, and all the usual curves,hue etc etc.

Also how are the colours? I have tried to re-process this one a few times and don't know how I managed these colours! :( as the rest tend to come out very red. Personaly I quite like them but I would like your opinion.

So tips and tricks from photoshop users would help me greatly!

Thanks for looking,

Michael

post-19381-133877552144_thumb.jpg

Michael,

I think this looks pretty good, especially for having no calibration frames!

Another 10 lights, plus darks, bias and flats an you'll have the basis for a really nice image.

How did you stack? Did you use DSS? Might be worth checking your stacking algorithms - use average combination instead of median combination to get less noise and allow you to pull more out. That's what I did last night with my own first rosette image.

Clear skies,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments! I do hope to get some more data on this one and defently some calibration frames before she dissapears below the horizon.

Yea I used DSS I am still trying to figure out all these different options in there, so I have generaly just been using the default settings mainly. I will give average a try.

Thanks mate,

Michael

You're welcome - and average will probably give you less noise. Try it and see :D

(changing from median to average worked for me on the the rosette image you saw on my thread and let me stretch the data more easily).

Hi Anna,

You are welcome to do as you like.

Unfortunarly I don't have a server or anything to upload the TIFF, but here is the DSS output untouched minus of course being saved as a JPEG.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you can do. :D

Michael

post-19381-133877552474_thumb.jpg

Unfortunarly I don't have a server or anything to upload the TIFF

Hi Michael,

Try DropBox (http://db.tt/cWCPKi3) [this is my referral link - it gives us both an extra 250mb]. Once it's on your PC all you need to do to share your TIFF files is copy them into dropbox, right click and copy the public URL and share that :D

No need to use a server, FTP, or any faffing about like that.

Mike :p

DropBox is perfect for slow or intermittent connections. It's brilliant, very efficient at file transfer. The best bit is that you need do nothing, there's no configuration to speak of and it literally just works.

Dog gone it. been browsing these forums on and off all day today. Just bought my scope 2 days ago and STILL have not been able to try it out. Another heavily clouded night here in western new york.

I envy everyones pictures here and can't wait to see how my own turn out

Dog gone it. been browsing these forums on and off all day today. Just bought my scope 2 days ago and STILL have not been able to try it out. Another heavily clouded night here in western new york.

Don't worry after a few sessions you will soon get the hang of it!

Good luck in your endevour and be sure to post your results here :D

Micheal

To be fair, all my stuff is still sat outside in the garden waiting for me to bravely take the ten minute job of bringing it all inside again in the cold.

Blegh, sometimes it feels like a load of wasted time but then - when it all comes together - it's very special :D

To be fair, all my stuff is still sat outside in the garden waiting for me to bravely take the ten minute job of bringing it all inside again in the cold.

Blegh, sometimes it feels like a load of wasted time but then - when it all comes together - it's very special :)

I know how you feel. I set mine up last night, let it cool, polar align, got the lappie all hooked up. Then high cloud came in....lots of moisture in the air. Couldn't see a blasted thing.

Dragged it all back in at 1:30AM..muttering and grumbling under my breath.:D

I know how you feel. I set mine up last night, let it cool, polar align, got the lappie all hooked up. Then high cloud came in....lots of moisture in the air. Couldn't see a blasted thing.

Dragged it all back in at 1:30AM..muttering and grumbling under my breath.:D

You and I are the same.

Except I thought better about polar aligning. I must not have been as optimistic as you were :)

No sorry, as I said it's just to big for the internet connection on the boat. We're close to dial up! lol

Michael

Pop the .tiff file in the 'Public' folder in your Dropbox folder and wait :D

It will sync eventually :)

Incidentally Michael, did you take this image from the boat?

Best,

Mike

Pop the .tiff file in the 'Public' folder in your Dropbox folder and wait
Unfortunatly it is not really allowed as the sat connection costs a bomb!

Incidentally Michael, did you take this image from the boat?

Why? is it that bad?! :) Only joking,

No I dont think it would be possible to do it on a boat that is rolling, we are not on very big ship really.

Shame though as you obviously have ZERO light polloution to worry about :D

Cheers,

Michael

I had a play with the DSS stack you posted and got the same sort of result as in your cropped version.

The left side of the image doesn't seem to respond so well for some reason so the crop was a good idea. Whether or not anything else can be done is, I think, really only a question of how you see colour and of course everybody has their own preference........... I came up with this..........

post-13495-133877553316_thumb.jpg

Is this any help? I guess it is a bit like a sledgehammer but I can't think of a gentle way here?

1 - orig image

2 - select area of the glow, copy and paste onto a new layer and use the High Pass filter to help separate the stars from the background and glow

3 - use curves to get similar contrast for the high pass layer compared to left hand side

4 - use overlay mode for the new layer, this will darken non glow parts though!

5 - copy and paste the original image onto a new layer and put this layer on top of the other layers, use eraser over the glow area on this top layer to erase out just the glow area (so that you lose the darkening to the non-glow areas from step 4)

I love your colours. With the background noise, I think your image is a cracker anyway if you have to downsize it smaller than you'd like to get the noise down!

post-15522-133877554211_thumb.jpg

I would get hold of Gradient Xterminator by Russell Croman. Unless you have a very dark site it will stand you in good stead, though PixInsight is even better for neutralizing the background. The tutorials are good as well on Russ's site.

GradientXTerminator

What is happening in your Rosette is that the black point is clipped in order to lose the unwanted noise/gradient and this just leaves an un-naturally jet black sky. In fact the nebula slowly emerges from a surrounding faint glow.

Always watch the left of the histogram in Levels after any operation and make sure that you have a little flat area on the left before the main peak starts to rise. Also check R,G and B separately. The top left of the peak in each should line up.

Without GradX I would just put a well feathered lasso around the amp glow and ease down the curve and also look at the grey point in levels. It is a bodge but with care it can work okay.

I think your original colour was very good. Lifting the green gently will reduce the magenta if you feel that's what you want to do.

Olly

Archived