Narrowband

SGL6 - Don't forget the......

Helen

I thought it might be useful to list things to bring, in the hope we all arrive with everything we need :p

So what are the less obvious things not to forget?

I'll start

Note book and pen for jotting down all those tips...

Cake/nibbles for the tea tent

Two extra layers of clothes, for when its sparkly clear :(

Hot water bottle, for after its been sparkly clear and you need a warm up :D

A chair or two (preferably lightweight so that you can carry it from your tent to the marquees)

A small table to go next to your scope so that you don't have to put things down on the grass

A small kneeling pad to avoid getting dirty when either polar aligning or looking through that long refractor

A duffle bag or similar to take your towel and stuff with you to the toilet block (but no toilet paper as that is supplied!).

Helen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Cup, plate, bowl, knife, fork and spoon...

Jaffa Cakes

No Wagon Wheels

I forgot to take a chair to Kelling last year. I did manage to borrow one eventually, but it wasn't very comfortable.

Ant

All these lists are very sensible indeed.

I intend to take a camping stove and I'm going to cook a nice hot meal on Saturday night, of the stick-to-your ribs variety.

There'll be hot chocolate too and the possibility of bacon sandwiches in the day.

What every male astronomer needs is an ample woman, who will:

• cook warming food to tuck into
  • occasionally appear with a hot coffee at the eye piece
  • act as a living hot water bottle at 4am. (How lucky is Ian??!)

And what will be my heat source?

Well...the magic of the night sky...good company...the fascination of images created on site...(and maybe a bottle of gin and a fan heater;)).

Tools (allen keys, spanners, pliers, screwdrivers etc...) - for fixing all the stuff that decides that a field in Herefordshire is the most awkward place to work its way loose or stop working.

Spare fuses - for all the stuff that decides to short out for no particular reason in a field in Herefordshire.

A red light head torch - especially useful when trying to use both hands to mend all the broken stuff in the pitch black

Sticky back velcro - for sticking all the stuff that you've had to mend to the scope

Black insulating tape - for sticking over the overly-bright warning lights that have just come on on the malfunctioning equipment.

A sense or resignation and quiet desparation - as you realise that despite all the tools, fuses, tape, velcro and lights, your stuff still decides to malfunction just enough to make your whole imaging session a complete waste of time.

A resolution - that next time you'll bring along a copy of the manual for the piece of malfunctioning equipment so that next time you won't accidentally plug it in backwards!

A bottle (or two) of Old Speckled Hen - to wash away the pain.

I've made a list which (hopefully) I've attached.

Obviously a lot of it is personal to my equipment, but hopefully others can use it as a basis for their own. SGL won't allow word docs as an attachment, so I've generated a pdf, but if anyone wants the word 2007 document so they can customize it, I've uploaded it to my website

micro-heli.co.uk/SGLList.docx

SGL List.pdf

Tent poles....

There's nothing quite like driving for 6 hours, unrolling the tent and realising the poles aren't in the bag.. :D

James

:p

From recent experience, just double check you HAVE put everything in the car from the pile in the garage (controller cable for Moonlite focusser was the bit that had been missed)

Steve

I think a trip to millets is in order for the weekend :D

I am in need of the following:

• Thermal base layer
  • Camping chair
  • Red light head torch
  • Small table
  • Plenty of scrumptious snack foods :p

I am undecided on whether to bring the camping stove or not, it might be useful for hot water bottles and making late night cuppas/hot chocolates. The thing is my tent is small (two man dome) and I have never had to cook for myself when camping so I have no idea where I would even use it.

I have to keep it away from the tent material when in use for obvious reasons but there is nowhere else to go apart from outside, not much shelter incase of rain.

I am undecided on whether to bring the camping stove or not, it might be useful for hot water bottles and making late night cuppas/hot chocolates. The thing is my tent is small (two man dome) and I have never had to cook for myself when camping so I have no idea where I would even use it.

I have to keep it away from the tent material when in use for obvious reasons but there is nowhere else to go apart from outside, not much shelter incase of rain.

A tea tent will be supplied with a kettle and tea/coffee for late night drinks if you don't want to have to bring your own.

Steve

Hi Kev,

See from your list of things to take, that you are interested in wildlife.

I am a reasonably keen bird-watcher and am planning in taking my birding scope with me.

I plan to go to a few birding places during the day. The coast around the Mumbles in south Wales is achievable. Of course there is the Wye Valley.

You are welcome to participate if you wish.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Kev,

See from your list of things to take, that you are interested in wildlife.

I am a reasonably keen bird-watcher and am planning in taking my birding scope with me.

I plan to go to a few birding places during the day. The coast around the Mumbles in south Wales is achievable. Of course there is the Wye Valley.

You are welcome to participate if you wish.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks for the invite Adrian,

I wouldn't call myself a bird watcher but I do enjoy photographing them :D I was out playing with one of these yesterday http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x8/index.php and thought it would be very cool for nest surveys I do with a local rescue centre

Hi Kev,

I use the straight eyeball to eyeball technique............You could use that dragon equipment to get above the clouds and peer into space on a cloudy night!!!!

The birds are usually crystal clear in my Swarovski Telescope. Which I intend to pack.

Anyway, see you Wednesday.

Incidentally, the weather here at the moment is brilliant, this is what we need for next week.

Cheers

Adrian

From recent experience, just double check you HAVE put everything in the car from the pile in the garage (controller cable for Moonlite focusser was the bit that had been missed)

Indeed! Only check it off the list when you know you have just packed it into the car.... packing it into a bag or box wont help if you forget the bag or box :D

Archived