Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple pleasures

philipok

owning a 10" lx200, but seldom using it, I am currently enjoying using a deckchair+bino combination to get back into observing.. there is a lot of satisfaction in...

- wandering around Melotte 111

- discovering the delightful Kembles Cascade

- finding M51 in binoculars on a light polluted sky

having trouble with Leo trio in binos.. LP washes them all away..

Anyway, the simple things are to be recommended...

Binoculars are just great aren't they. They are a lovely informal way of stargazing. I really rediscovered that last summer with the 15x70s I got then. Just wandering around the Sagittarius/Scorpius region is amazing.

The Leo triplet can be tough in my C8 with LP, so Iam not surprised you did not find it. M81 and M82 are a great deal easier. I trundled through Mel 111 two days ago with the C8 looking for galaxies, but should have been paying attention to the cluster itself. It would have been a great sight with the 10x50s, which can take in the whole cluster.

A good little report, nice to see that you are picking up some of the fainter targets even with urban ligth pollution. I can manage M51 and M101 jsut about through my binocs under mag 4.5 skies, that is probably aboutthe limit from Crewe but I have had amazing views with them from a dark site.

Binoculars are fantastic aren't they? Just perfect for grab n go sessions when the 'scope seems like too much hassel and you want decent widefield views. Also great for travelling light as well.

Which binoculars have yo got? I use the Celestron 15x70s and they are brill for what I paid for them new from FLO.

Archived