Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Turn Left at Orion

Horus

Just bought the book on Ebay for £5 , I did say never been read but I took it with a pinch of salt. Its just arrived in pristine condition and had a quick look through and it looks a fantastic book.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the ebook version. I really like the fact it not only tells you which eyepiece to use but also tells you how to find it and what it is you are seeing.

I did see a month or so a go that the author was giving a talk in Wakefield. Not sure if this has been and gone now but might have been interesting.

hi imho i do not get what the big fuss is about this book ,its not that good i think its ok and if you no nothing then yes its not bad ,and will help ya out but its not the "best one out there"and its out of date this year the new one is out in August 2011 but if you have no clue when looking up or what power ep to use it will do the job for you i give it 5/10

hi imho i do not get what the big fuss is about this book ,its not that good i think its ok and if you no nothing then yes its not bad ,and will help ya out but its not the "best one out there"and its out of date this year the new one is out in August 2011 but if you have no clue when looking up or what power ep to use it will do the job for you i give it 5/10

imho its a terrific book, aimed at novice's maybe but I have not seen too many that give a description and an image of the messier catalouge that does show one what to expect when observing :p

perhaps you can point me in the direction of a few more :D

Well, as one who knew nothing and still knows little, I think the book fulfils its purpose. as the author says:

It’s for people who are like I was when Iwas starting out, the casual observers who’d like to have fun with their telescopes without committing themselves to hours of technical details, that we decided to write Turn Left at Orion.

I like the fact you can decide on something you want to find, look it up, get instructions on how to find it, see illustrations of a finderscope view and of what to expect in the scope. It's all good:headbang::D

I bought this book a few weeks back after just fiddling with my scope for a few months. I've found it fantastic to be honest. Just what I needed really until I can afford a nice shiny £4000 Meade GOTO jobby.

I like it's layout and the way it groups things by season.

I just think it's a fab fab book for a beginner like me.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Have a nice night, kiddies.

Paul

Maybe not for you but as a serious newcomer I find any book that can help me is a step in the right direction .

like a said its not for me but would be a welcome help toothers who look up and donot no much thats all i prefer the cambridge star colection of books have you tried them they about 28 pound each but are soooooo good

i bought turn left a few months ago (for a little more than £5) and think it was a really worthwile buy.

as a newcomer to astronomy, it has shown me a lot with my tiny 3" reflector.

it is great if you don't know what you are actually loking for as it gives realistic drawings of what you should see.

it turned me from :D to :p

My £0.02:

I'd already been observing for 30 years when I first encountered TL@O. I found it useful then and I still dip into it, particularly if I want to find an "old friend" that I've forgotten an easy star-hop to find. It's not (and was never intended to be) an "only" book.

However, the book I'd never observe without is Collins Gem Night Sky (the new version is just called "Stars"). It fits in a shirt- or trouser pocket, doesn't mind dew too much, has darned good commentary from Ian Ridpath and charts by Wil Tirion. And it can be found for under a quid....

Archived