Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Test pictures with the new scope

jasperuk

Still learning and a long way to go yet but it looks pretty if nothing else, first time i have taken a picture with polar alignment and the motors..

Prime Focus for 25 Secs in fairly poor light pollution condition just south of Preston, Lancs, UK

post-25369-13387755142_thumb.jpg

post-25369-133877551427_thumb.jpg

A good start, Jasper - there will be no stopping you now.

Can I suggest you have a go at some of the open clusters (in CMa, Pup, Mon area) as a next step? Fairly easy and will give an image with more 'shape' to it (not trying to dis your images by that comment)

Nice pic of capella and betelgeuse there. Tracking seems very good also. :p

I spent ages try to get the polar alignment right i cant see much of the sky near polaris as the house is in the way and i dont have an illuminated polar alignment scope, its great in the day :( and rubbish in the dark ;)....

What is better grass or concrete flags i was thinking the grass would not vibrate as much as i move around the scope when takeing long exposure pictures ??? :D

A good start, Jasper - there will be no stopping you now.

Can I suggest you have a go at some of the open clusters (in CMa, Pup, Mon area) as a next step? Fairly easy and will give an image with more 'shape' to it (not trying to dis your images by that comment)

:D I will take a look see if i can star hop my way there if the clouds stay away tonight, i need objects very bright or high to avoid the Light Pollution in Preston and Leyland (Dis away my firend Dis away its the only way i will learn) :p

i need objects very bright or high to avoid the Light Pollution in Preston and Leyland

Auriga is high overhead in the evenings and there are a lot of nice clusters in there (including three messier objects).

And it is amazing how much detail can be pulled out of stacked pictures, even when taken with loads of LP - I have no fewer than 7 streetlights covering my garden, that you cannot see on any of the individual frames. You should get lots more stars appearing in your finished image.

Diffraction spikes are lines radiating from bright light sources in reflecting telescope images. They are artifacts caused by light diffracting around the support vanes of the secondary mirror. Refracting telescopes and their photographic images do not have the same problem.

Thats all i know mate i just open and close the shutter and see what comes out the other end :D

As DP says, M36 & M37 in Auriga are nice and fit nicely in the FOV of the 150P (I have the same scope). I also like M3 globular in Canis Venatici. That is another one that is pretty easy in a light poluted sky. Take a whole bunch of pictures at the same settings then try stacking them with something like Deep Sky Stacker. You will be amazed how much detail you can get.

ah ha, sorry I just wanted to know if they were natural as I quite liked the look of them and was hoping it was a photoshop thing so I could incorporate that look into some of my images.

Darn it!

:p

Diffraction spikes are lines radiating from bright light sources in reflecting telescope images. They are artifacts caused by light diffracting around the support vanes of the secondary mirror. Refracting telescopes and their photographic images do not have the same problem.

Thats all i know mate i just open and close the shutter and see what comes out the other end :D

Archived