Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Celestron Neximage CCD - Mac?

PNB

Evening folks,

As I sit here, awaiting darkness on what seems a clear and beautiful night, my mind has turned to imaging.

I'm a newbie, with a Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ which I am finding great for learning my way around the sky. None of this GOTO stuff me me yet - I'm doing it the old fashioned way and loving the hands on nature of it...

I've tried to take a few snaps of the moon and Saturn using my digital camera but am disappointed with the results and don't have the money for a fancy set up at the min.

Anyway, enough rambling. I have seen this Celestron Neximage but am puzzled...I have a MacBook Pro but am unsure whether it will work with a Mac and whether it's actually any good or not. Does anyone have one?

If anyone could advise me on this I'd more than grateful.

I'm about to order an iphone adapter to try using that as a little screen when I get paid next week too.

If it doesn't work with a Mac, can anyone advise me accordingly?

This is what I like the look of - in my admitted ignorance.

Celestron NexImage CCD Camera

Thanks guys.

Paul

Hello!, i have this exact same question!:D, i do have a partial answer /solution

that is to either get parralels and install windows or use the dual boot with windows:P, you can run windows on macbook pro and use this..., but rather avoid it

Thanks for the input.

I'm with you in that I'd rather avoid a dual boot situation. Let's hope someone drops along at some point and can help us both out... :-)

Cheers,

Paul

jep, but some googling resulted in finding out that most software is for windows only:(

Parallels is not a bad option( you need to pay for it) unless you know certain sites...

it can run windows applications in your snow leopard...(it is the best solution), i have it but haven't tried it yet( i needed it for autocad)

i think dual boot is standard on every mac?

i'm sure you will have some old version of windows laying around( xp or so), or people you know....

hopefully there will be more software for mac !:D

Yep - most software does seem for Windows.

A dual boot is easy to set up on a Mac using Boot Camp but to be honest the thought of seeing a Windows desktop surrounded by lovely aluminium makes me feel a little queasy. Sad, I know, but having to spend all day looking at XP in work, it's lovely to come home and get back to OS X. I do have a copy of Windows 7 floating around somewhere but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it...

Will have to check out Parallels I think.

I'm very surprised that there isn't more software out there for the Mac considering they're so widely used by 'creative types.'

I seem to be getting nowhere with Googling for things though.

Edited by PNB

Have you found macam yet? It provides OSX driver support for a fair few cameras, however post that there isn't much capturing software.

Keiths Astro Imager was one route I went down, but got fed up in the end and went with the Parallels / wxAstroCapture / DSS / Registax / back to OSX for Photoshop approach :D

Edited by Stephen

yes also because of the many macbook pros i saw in astronomy docus i thought there would be more software for it:(, but its probably more for the graphics then functional programs to capture images/video or control you telescope :D

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi - Have a Macbook Pro and had the same problem - just to let you know I solved it in seconts and this is no bull!!  All I did was bought Paralells 10 from pcworld which I think cos me £65 and a copy of windows 8.1 which cost me £50 - installed it on to my Mac - easy instructions to follow - the only problem I had was trying to install the camera drive - so all you have to do is install the program software then plug the camerea in to the usb - go to devices in utilities and  or on windows its self and you will see it hiding - it wont find it automaticly so you have to go in to the settings and it will say Neximage5 - then press refresh on the driver software then 100% it will work - if you struggle just call Paralells and they will log on to yr mac by using (logmein123) and they will set it up for you. - I hope this helps - please let me know