Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie in Machester.. for now...

RocketSurgeon

Hi to all!

Well I finally decided to take the plunge and get stuck into Astronomy for the first time.

So I just wanted to say hi to everyone - it is only polite as I expect to be calling upon the experts here in the near future!

Part of the reason I have decided to get on the case now is because I am emigrating to Kenya in a few weeks time. It seemed like an ideal opportunity - all that dark sky Africa has to offer - to indulge in a hobby I have been threatening to take up for years.

Does anyone have any idea what to expect viewing the skies from near the equator -

Lat = 1 degrees, 21.1 minutes South

Long = 36 degrees, 42.7 minutes East

Am I right to expect to see what is normally low in the sky in both N and S hemispheres ?

Does anyone have any other experience of stargazing in Africa?

Cheers :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, just checked back in and I want to thank you for the warm welcome.

Kenya not long off now, only 16 more shirts to iron...

So thanks for the messages:-

Doc - I will check out those apps, many thanks. I have one already called star calc, presume its similar fayre?

MorningMajor - yup photos.. I'll get on to that, as soon as I have found my astronomical feet so to speak. Watch this space !

brantuk - you mention LMC and SMC.. now I presume you are not referring to the Lancaster and Morecambe College, or the Scottish Medicines Consortium. Ok, yup a quick google tells me you are talking about the Large Magellanic Cloud.. Correct?

Wow - I've read about this recently, but I understood that this was only properly visible from more southern latitudes? Any further advice on this one gratefully received.

Imp - The Elephant. If there isn't one already... I'll invent it. Like Homer did with the snake. I'll let you know when I have had that officially recognized by the Astronomical High Council. :-D

Oh, last thing... I noticed that in some signatures, it looks like people are completing lists of astronomical objects... is that right? Where can I get details?

Cheers!

A

Archived