Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier plate help please...

rawhead

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes - I bought very similar ones for my pier plates, but went for the slightly thicker 10mm. (I also went for circular so no sharp corners, but I cant see any of those on ebay at the moment). I then bought some M12 threaded rod and nylon lock nuts to mount the plates together.

Good luck

Cheers pal :D

Yes - I bought very similar ones for my pier plates, but went for the slightly thicker 10mm. (I also went for circular so no sharp corners, but I cant see any of those on ebay at the moment). I then bought some M12 threaded rod and nylon lock nuts to mount the plates together.

Good luck

I cant see any good prices for longer threaded rod for the concrete to plate connection. I would try a DIY store - I know B&Q do it - it might be cheaper just because you arent paying delivery.

Cheers

I found the steel piers were quite expensive, for eg the Altair one is £495 !!

With a diy pier, the main expense is the Pier Adaptor plate, so if you can find one of those second-hand it would really save you the expense.

If you want a ball-park figure, these are my totals for the pier I made:

8"x1.5m stainless steel heating duct (ebay) @ £22.

A single length of reinforcement bar (metals4u) 12mmx6m (cut into 3) was £14.

Concrete for pier itself (Wickes) was £10.

2x10" mild steel pier plates (ebay) £20.

1x13mm Drill Bit (ebay) £8.

Threaded rod 2x12mmx1m (ebay) £9 (though I notice B&Q are cheaper)

Pier Adaptor Plate for HEQ5 £79

Total: £162

The concrete foundation for the pier was 2' cubed, and cost:

12x bags of ballast (wickes) £10

2x bags of cement (wickes) £6

6x medium density concrete blocks (wickes) £9

Total: £25

I used the blocks in cross formation in the foundation so that if I ever want to break it up the blocks tend to be softer than the concrete, but are just as heavy, so should help - thats my theory anyway.

So all in all I guess the whole project was around £200.

I hope this helps...

The cost of manufactured units is ridiculous.

Most manufacturers assume that the word "astronomical" can be applied to most prices.

I'm in the process of designing an observatory and pier.

I do work with an engineering company.

If we can come up with a generic design it will be much less cost if more than one are ordered at once.

I'll get a price for a custom made, one off pier, similar to advertised versions, this week.

One idea I have had but not yet implemented was to have three blocks with holes in welded to the top plate at 120 degrees at the same pitch as the EQ-5 mount. The idea being that I simply un-bolt the tripod legs and then use the tri-pod base bolted to the plate to hold the mount.

This would save having a purpose machined "head" made to take the base of the EQ mount. - rough sketch attached

post-23388-133877553408_thumb.jpg

Some while back I made a 5ft version of the Tal 2M pedestal.

Really it was simply a direct copy of the sturdy 3ft 2M pier. I used 4"I/D x 6mm wall thk tube, bought from a local steel stockholder and cut to size. I welded 3 M8 nuts at the top and 3 at the inside bottom. The eq head is held in place with grub screws and the 2M feet attach at the bottom. It is exceedingly heavy and therefore sturdy as hell.

Could someting similar be done for the CG5? Perhaps with a 1/2" plate at the bottom(with tube welded to it) instead of the feet?

bfb1c0d978a1ba9081cace4bfe7585de_4015.jpg?dl=1280044836

d825eb5c8b2172ddaf1fec3387b7a390_10085.jpg?dl=1301239001

c7c1e8a624fab2df03d73226c7ba63de_10086.jpg?dl=1301239001

41c9256155730ed42ed836470cfe49f6_10087.jpg?dl=1301239001

Andy.

ps: if you were closer I'd make you one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks again Chris.

Any chance of a pic of your pier? :)

Cheers

Im very sorry, missed this first time around, and only noticed it when looking back...Dont know if this is too late, or whether you're still interested, but there are some pic's here

Cheers

No worries :D

Thanks for the pics...

Im very sorry, missed this first time around, and only noticed it when looking back...Dont know if this is too late, or whether you're still interested, but there are some pic's here

Cheers

I've been looking on eBay for steel plate for pier top. Only one round plate AFAICS - 150mm diameter but a massive 15mm thick!

150mm diameter 15mm thick mild steel plate | eBay UK

I might go for that - take a fair bit of drilling though. I really don't want ones with corners - I can find any corners going in full daylight let alone in the dark! Could be filed round I know but... Wood wouldn't be any good would it? :D

At last I fit in the obsy alongside the scope :D

All ready for action. Fingers crossed for tonight...

Good luck.

Looks an interesting observatory design. Is the lean-to extension for storage? And where is the roof?

old_eyes

Archived